Menu

Transmitting on startup

Anonymous
2020-02-18
2020-02-19
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2020-02-18

Hi all, im having some issues with my setup transmitting a carrier for a minute at startup of YAAC. Once it decides to send a packet it stops TXing aftef the packet is sent and all works normal. If i open port configuration for my GPS it will start tansmitting the carrier again until another packet is sent.

My hardware setup is as follows:
    VTC6110 car computer with
    Intel Core DUO 1.6
    2GB DDR2
    120GB SSD
    GlobalSat MR-350 GPS
    Yaesu FT-2980
    13.8V 11A Astron power supply (for bench testing before moving into vehicle)

Softare setup is:
    Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS
    Direwolf V1.4
    YAAC 1.0 BETA 147
    OpenJDK 1.8.0

The computer has a built in GPS on /dev/ttyS0, my globalsat GPS is on /dev/ttyS1, and the PTT for the radio is on /dev/ttyS3. The radio is on the RTS (pin7), with that going to a diode to block the negative voltage, then into a transistor to ground the PTT when it senses the high signal from the RTS pin. Direwolf is configured and this setup all works well with Xastir. I have tried using the built in GPS and moving the PTT to any of the other 3 serial ports but none will make any difference.

during troubleshooting, i wiped the hard drive and started from scratch again, without loading GPSD or any other applications needed by Xastir.

I load Direwolf before YAAC so that it will keep the ports enabled on startup. It doesnt matter if Direwolf is loaded seconds befre or 30 min before YAAC, as soon as YAAC loads, the radio starts transmitting. If i load YAAC first and then direwolf, and manually enable the ports, as soon as the ports are enabled, it transmits still until a packet is sent.

After everythingis running normally, if i open the GPS config, it goes straight to transmitting the carrier again. Both serial or USB GPS give me the same issue.

Is this possibly a bug or is it something with my setup here?
    Thanks

• Andrew Pavlin

Andrew Pavlin - 2020-02-18

It sounds like you're dealing with a "feature" of the RXTX library that YAAC uses to access the serial ports. When you open a configuration panel that deals with serial ports (Serial_TNC, Serial_GPS, Serial_Weather), RXTX scans all accessible serial port devices to get the usable list to populate the device selection drop-down, and apparently modifies their modem control signal settings as a side-effect (hence turning on transmit on your transmit control port). Not sure if that is an O/S feature (when device file is opened, raise modem control) or a deliberate "feature" of RXTX, but I agree that it's annoying.

Note that several people use a gated technique to logically combine DTR and RTS for a PTT signal to avoid accidental transmits like you're getting due to flakey software.

I'll see if there's a way to keep RXTX from changing modem control signals on unselected (by YAAC) serial ports.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2020-02-18

thanks Andrew. I've only done a quick search, but any suggestions about where to find examples of gating both pins together?

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2020-02-19

no worries. I got it working using 2 optocouplers. one on each pin.
    thanks

Anonymous
Anonymous

Add attachments
Cancel