Menu

2 out of 3 stations not digipeating

Anonymous
2014-12-23
2014-12-25
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2014-12-23

I set up my home station to digipeat and it works fine. I set up the station at our local EOC pretty much the same way, but it does NOT digipeat. I also walked a friend through the setup at his home, and it also is not digipeating. I've gone through the configuration screens a million times and cannot figure out what is different (other than call signs) on the three stations. Admittedly the radios and TNCs are different, but that shouldn't matter. Can it have anything to do with my station being on a Windows 8.1 computer while the other two are running Windows XP? At this point I'll take any speculation at all.

Gary Ross Hoffman, KB0H

• Andrew Pavlin

Andrew Pavlin - 2014-12-24

There are four prerequisites that have to be configured correctly before YAAC can function as a digipeater:

1. On the Digipeat tab of the expert-mode Configure dialog, confirm that the aliases you wish to digipeat for are present (i.e., recognized by YAAC) and their enable checkbox is checked. This is the global control for those digipeat aliases.

2. On the Ports tab of the Configure dialog, you actually have some ports that support transmitting on RF, such as the Serial_TNC or AGWPE types, and such ports are enabled.

3. On those ports, in the individual port configuration editing dialog (as launched by the Edit button on the Ports tab, or by clicking the blinkenlight for the port on the map toolbar), the port is enabled for transmission (i.e., not receive-only).

4. Also on those ports, the desired digipeat aliases appear in the "Digipeats for port" list, and have their checkbox checked (enabling the alias for that specific alias on this specific port).

Also, is your radio correctly connected to the TNC or sound card (as appropriate)? YAAC can send frames to the TNC all it wants, but if the TNC can't push the radio's Push-To-Talk switch, it will never transmit. Verify that you are successfully able to send your own beacons to RF before you concern yourself with digipeating others' messages.

• John

John - 2014-12-25

Being on WinXP vs. Win8.1 shouldn't really matter. I've run YAAC successfully on WinXP, WinVista, Win7, and Win8.1.

Probably goes without saying, but would caution against having too many digipeaters in one area. If there is not a gap in coverage that needs to be filled, adding a digi may not help anything and can make things worse. Exercise caution with the digi pathing settings as well -- use the shortest number of hops necessary -- as well as lowest power necessary.

v/r

John, KD0SFY

Anonymous
Anonymous

Add attachments
Cancel