Menu

PORT SETTINGS CONFIGURATION

Anonymous
2018-06-14
2018-06-14
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2018-06-14

I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE ELSE HAS THE SAME ISSUE? I CAN SET THE PORTS THAT I WANT TO USE BUT IF I HAVE FOUND THAT IF MY STATION GOES OFF FOR ONE REASON OR ANOTHER AND I TURN IT BACK ON I AM MISSING PORTS. THIS HAPPENS IF I GO UNDER FILE AND UNDER CONFIGURE AND TELL IT TO EXPORT TO FILE IT SHOULD SAVE MY PORTS...RIGHT. OR AM I SENDING IT TO THE WRONG FILE.

SORRY FOR ALL OF THE CAPS IT HELPS ME SEE A LITTLE BIT BETTER.

JOHN - W4JML

• Andrew Pavlin

Andrew Pavlin - 2018-06-14

A few issues here:

1. Let us know which operating system and version thereof you are using. There are significant behavioral differences between Microsoft Windows, Apple Macintosh OS X, and the many dialects of Linux, which affect troubleshooting.
    2. Presumably, you're using USB serial adapters to connect to your devices (GPS, TNC, etc.). Depending on the operating system and whether the particular models of USB serial adapters you are using have hardware serial numbers, your ports can be reshuffled to different operating system device file names (renumbered COM ports on Windows, etc.), so YAAC doesn't find the kind of hardware it expects on the serial port, amd that assumes the ports aren't renumbered to new numbers different from the ones stored in your YAAC configuration.
    3. YAAC (or rather, the RXTX library YAAC uses) does not support hot-plugging of USB serial ports. Unplugging a USB serial device that YAAC is actively using is likely to hang or crash YAAC, and plugging it back in without shutting down YAAC first almost guarantees the device will get a new device file name from the operating system (because the old device file name is still in use by YAAC even though it doesn't have any hardware behind it).
    4. File->Configure->Export to File does not save the port settings; it merely dumps your entire current configuration to an XML file, suitable for emailing to the YAAC author to aid in debugging issues. You have to click the Save or Save Changes button on the individual configuration panels to save the changes you made.
    5. It is generally recommended to exit YAAC before you shut your computer off. Proper termination of the program ensures that the configuration data will be properly checkpointed to disk.
    6. Note that the configuration data is stored in the particular operating system login account you were using to run YAAC. If you log back into the system with a different username, the configuration data for the other username will not be visible here, even if you can see the directory where YAAC is installed from both accounts.

Anonymous
Anonymous

Add attachments
Cancel