Menu

Different beacons for HF & VHF

John
2017-01-08
2017-06-05
  • John

John - 2017-01-08

Is there a way to set up different beacons for HF and VHF? Specifically different digi-path settings.

• John

John - 2017-01-12

Should clarify,

I want to run a port for Internet, a port for VHF, and a port for HF simultaneously. I'd like to set different comments for the VHF and HF ports, different pathing, and possibly compress one.

• Andrew Pavlin

Andrew Pavlin - 2017-01-18

Hmmm.. that would require some changes inside YAAC to allow for multiple beacon definitions and assigning beacons to ports appropriately (without breaking the existing capability for single-port deployments). Let me think about that one.

• John

John - 2017-01-18

Thanks. Failing that, if I could run multiple instances of YAAC, I could work around this, but everytime I try conflicts arise with the configurations. Otherwise I end up using two computers. Currently running YAAC with a base callsign for the IS connection, -1 for the VHF connection, and -2 for the HF connection, just so I can track what port is doing what. Because HF is not supposed to use the WIDEn-N path settings, I have to set the beacon to Direct whereas I normally have it set to WIDE1-1 or sometimes WIDE2-1 for VHF. Succesfully using UZ7HO's SoundModem and a SignaLink USB for the HF port and a KPC3+ for the VHF port.

PHG also does not apply to HF and should be stripped out from any HF beacon. Beacon messages might also be different.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2017-02-16

whilst Andrew is thinking about changes, If you can run multiple instances, perhaps try the -profile command line argument to start them up with their own dedicated profile, such as -profile myHF and another instance with -profile myVHF

not tried running multiple instances myself, so I could be talking rubbish (most likely)

• Andrew Pavlin

Andrew Pavlin - 2017-02-16

The -profile stunt would work, but it won't provide cross-band digipeating (since the two radio ports wouldn't be in the same profile instance of YAAC).

• Andrew Pavlin

Andrew Pavlin - 2017-06-03

FYI, build#107 of YAAC has been released, which supports multiple beacon definitions and the ability to assign beacons selectively to each APRS transmit-capable port (RF and APRS-IS). Let me know if this works for what you need.

• John

John - 2017-06-05

Thanks! I'll give it a try over the next few days.

• John

John - 2017-07-01

The different beacons seem to be working, except for one issue. Using build 111 right now. I have a "default" beacon and an "HF" beacon defined. Under the Transmit tab I have an Initial beacon rate of 290, a decay ratio of 3, and a stable rate of 870. The default beacon seems to follow this rate correctly, but the HF beacon rate alternates between 333 and 857, first one, then the other. I also noticed that on the HF beacon, if I check the "Enable station beacon" box I get a double beacon with maybe one second in between them.

• John

John - 2017-07-09

Playing around, everything works fine if I have the HF beacon enabled and then I restart YAAC. Intervals are correct and stable, no double beacons.

Anonymous
Anonymous

Add attachments
Cancel