Menu

Set language

Anonymous
2019-08-05
2019-08-05
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2019-08-05

Hello,

how is it possible to change the applications language. I am forced to use the german translation. I would like to change it to english.

73 Jan

• Andrew Pavlin

Andrew Pavlin - 2019-08-05

YAAC tries to use the locale of the executing operating system, falling back to American English if the desired locale is not available.

How you override your locale for a single program execution depends on your operating system. On Linux and other Unix derivatives, invoke YAAC from the command line like this:

LANG=en_US java -jar YAAC.jar

where the value of the LANG environment variable is whatever ISO language and country code you want. Note that YAAC only ships with English, German, and an incomplete Russian translation.

Not sure how to force Microsoft Windows to change the locale on a per-program basis.

Regarding the German translation in YAAC, any corrections would be most welcome. I freely admit that my German is very poor, so I have to depend on Google Translate to do most of the translations.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2019-08-05

Hello Andrew,

thanks for the answer. I figured out how to start the jar from command line with english language:

java -Duser.language=en-US -jar YAAC.jar

I didn't want to critizise you german language skills. How can i contribute to the translation? Is there a language file if have to edit?

Regards
    Jan

• Andrew Pavlin

Andrew Pavlin - 2019-08-05

No problem. I have no illusions about my limited knowledge of German (more than I know of any other language besides English) after two years of it as a foreign language in high school and then never used again until now.

You can send me bug reports of the places where the translations are wrong. Alternatively, if you download the source distribution of YAAC, you can find the YAAC_de.properties file that contains the German-language text for all the GUI labels (equivalent to the default YAAC.properties in American English, or the very incomplete YAAC_ru.properties when someone helped me with a Russian translation several years ago). The country-specific files like YAAC_de_AT.properties only contain country-specific stuff like the nation-specific band limits for the amateur radio bands you can specify for repeater objects), for the few nations for which I have language-specific files and who have posted English-language translations of their amateur radio regulations on the Internet). Once these files are edited, rebuilding YAAC with Ant will include the updated properties files in the newly built JAR file. Do note that the YAAC properties files are in UTF-8 format; I had to make a special hack to work around an old limitation in the Java runtime that assumed all properties files would use the ISO-8859-1 character set (which of course failed miserably when Sergei tried to make the Russian translation file).

I would be happy to get this fixed. I'm all too afraid that the translations look like they were done by a tourist with a bad tourist phrase book. :-(

Anonymous
Anonymous

Add attachments
Cancel