Menu

usability suggestions

2005-05-05
2013-04-25
  • Andrew Ziem

Andrew Ziem - 2005-05-05

Thank you for the program.  I like the features in 2.0 such as tracking property in general (not just vehicles).

I am trying the 2.0beta1, and I noticed many dialogs (Services, Property, Vendors, New Fuel Entry, New Maintenance Entry) don't have Save/Discard buttons.  The only way out is to close the window at the top. Adding Save/Discard-style buttons at the bottom would improve usability.  This would be consistant with other programs.

For the Schedule Editor, it would be helpful to label the two windows something like "Available Schedules" and "Active Schedules."

In the Property Editor, it would be helpful to have a label  for the dropdown menu at the top.  I'm not sure what's the difference between that and the General->Name field below.

In the Property Editor when "does not consume fuel" or "does not have an odometer" is checked the field Purchase->Odometer information is still available.  It would be helpful to see that disabled.

• EricW

EricW - 2005-05-20

Thank you for the suggestions.  2.0beta1 was the wrong version to give it.  It should be 2.0Preview1.  I will be sending the true beta soon to the testers.

Some of your concerns will be addressed as soon as I write the users manual.

All of the internal dialogs have Save, Discard (I like this name instead of Cancel), and Reset under the "Window Commands" Menu and keyboard shortcuts.  Save = Ctrl + Shift + S.

For the Property Editor, you can change the name of the property under General->Name.  Changing it in the dropdown will create a new property.  Also, I can understand the grayout for no fuel, but the no odometer should be enabled (but with a different name).

I have made some changes based on your suggestions.

Again, thank you.