Menu

MacFuse and Sonoma

2023-10-02
2024-07-12
  • Thom Vernod

Thom Vernod - 2023-10-02

Hi,

I recently upgraded to OS Sonoma. Now veracrypt doesn't work as it says I need to update MacFuse. Is there a fix for this?

Thanks!

• Mounir IDRASSI

Mounir IDRASSI - 2023-10-02

Hello,
    On my Sonoma machine, I installed macFUSE 4.5.0 and VeraCrypt 1.26.7 works without issues with it.
    I would suggest that you also install macFUSE 4.5.0.

👍
    • Yuriy

Yuriy - 2023-10-02

Hi there
      I got similar error on Sonoma with macfuse 4.5.0 and veracrypt 1.26.7:

hdiutil: attach failed - no mountable file systems

PS Error occurring during the attempt to mount at directory

Last edit: Yuriy 2023-10-02
    • Thom Vernod

Thom Vernod - 2023-10-03

This worked. Thanks!

• Kedeb Malsimal

Kedeb Malsimal - 2023-10-18

To install macFUSE on Sonoma, i first need to disable the security setting to allow kernel extensions. After installing MacFUSE, can I turn back on the kext security? Or must it stay permanently disabled?

• Mounir IDRASSI

Mounir IDRASSI - 2023-10-18

@kdms: The setting to allow kernel extensions on macOS must be permanently enabled; otherwise, macFUSE will stop working.
    For the future, I'm exploring the use of an alternative FUSE implementation for macOS called FUSE-T, which doesn't require a kernel extension: https://github.com/macos-fuse-t/fuse-t

It seems to require minimal changes for VeraCrypt to be compatible. The idea is to make VeraCrypt compatible with both macFUSE and FUSE-T, giving users the freedom to choose.

• Kedeb Malsimal

Kedeb Malsimal - 2023-10-18

oh thanks! ill keep the setting on then.

• Steve Jordi

Steve Jordi - 2023-12-03

Have just upgraded to Sonoma and the latest macFUSE 4.5.0 and VeraCrypt 1.26.7
    Doesn't mount any disk at all. They mount fine on Windows.
    Usually, when this happened, I mounted them on Windows and did a Disk Repair and then it was fine on the Mac counterpart. But this time, no way.
    I also installed/uninstalled Fuse-T without success
    Any help?
    Thanks

Last edit: Steve Jordi 2023-12-03
    • Roland Murbach

Roland Murbach - 2023-12-08

Same Problem as Steve Jordi, see attachment.
      Sonoma 14.1.2, macFUSE 4.5.0 and VeraCrypt 1.26.7.
      Enabled kernel extensions permanently.
      Any help?

• David Zacharias

David Zacharias - 2023-12-08

I have the same issue.
    Alle drives, that are exFAT formatted with VeraCrypt on a Mac, are mountable. But sometimes folders and files are missing or Error -50 occurs while copying file or creating folders on the mounted drive.
    With Windows and VeraCrypt everything works fine for the same drives.

Played a bit around and found out, that the "no mountable file systems" error occurs, if the drive is formatted with Windows and the allocation unit size for an exFAT drive is greater than 1024kb. Very weird and a huge problem, if you use big drives like 18TB, because the unit size for that drive can't be choosen that tiny.

I hope Apple and/or MacFuse will fix that problem. No idea where the root cause of that problem is.

• geohei

geohei - 2024-07-11

Hello.

macOS Sonoma 14.5
    VC 1.26.7
    macFUSE 4.8.0

I coped my .hc file to a NAS. Access from Windows works perfectly. VC on macOS shows the drive read-only, despite the fact that the properties of the container as shown by VC is not read-only! I believe macFUSE is the culprit. What can I do?

Thanks,

• Jertzukka

Jertzukka - 2024-07-11

What filesystem is on your file container? If it is NTFS, the default driver for it on macOS doesn't support writing anymore, so you would need either something like Tuxera NTFS or Paragon NTFS installed. Also if you have problems with macFUSE, I would recommend you to try out the Nightly build which you can find here under Files -> Nightly builds -> macOS. It uses FUSE-T instead of macFUSE which people have reported to work better.

• geohei

geohei - 2024-07-11

Thanks for the reply. I use NTFS indeed. What is the most compatible filesystem to be used for a container when accessing it from Windows and macOS? exFAT?

• Jertzukka

Jertzukka - 2024-07-11

Yes exFAT works.

• geohei

geohei - 2024-07-12

Feedback - I tried exFAT - works fine - thanks! I used OneDrive for a test container of 100MB and noticed, that only changed blocks of the container are sync'ed (quite efficient). However sync only takes place until the volume is unmounted. Hence, don't open the same container on 2 clients simultaneously and wait 30 seconds after the dismount before mounting again - otherwise you might run into conflicts.

Last edit: geohei 2024-07-12