Menu

Network access with Tux Commander - can anyon

milltek
2005-02-18
2013-04-24
  • milltek

milltek - 2005-02-18

Hi,
    I'm using Tux Commander as my file manager (latest release). I use it with Fluxbox over Arch. We have a small Lan with 2 MS win boxes and two Linux boxes. If I use XFFM I can see and get at all the other machines through the SMB Network option.

One of the TuxC options is Network and when I select that it then has an option for 'Open Connection'. Next you get to define each 'connection'. I enter the following values into the following fields;

Name >> OURSERVER

URI >> smb://administrator.***@OURSERVER

Server[;port]: >> OURSERVER:

Username: >> administrator

password >> ***

When I select 'connect' it replies with;
    'Couldn't open the URI specified. Please check the consistency of the resource identifier and the access permission.'

Does anyone have a clue? I have scoured the net for detailed docs on Tux Commander and found none although it is a good file manager and I'd really like to be able to use it.

Thanks,

Jim

• Tomas Bzatek

Tomas Bzatek - 2005-02-18

Hi,

the syntax "Server[:port]" means, that you can specify just machine name or machine name with port by "ourserver:1234". This is a standard convetion with string parts, which are not required.

So, try to remove that colon and see what happens. Network connections in Tux Commander rely on the gnome-vfs library and SMB protocol is not always working, depending on the gnome-vfs library version. It is recommended to use standard smbmount to mount the network volume manually - it has many advantages.