Menu

Bold ideas for our physics engine

Onsemeliot
2021-02-07
2024-03-23
<< < 1 2 3 (Page 3 of 3)
  • Onsemeliot

Onsemeliot - 2022-03-05

Today I tried to optimize the settings again. And the only thing that still bugs me with the new engine is the reduction of steering capability at higher speeds. Is it really necessary to limit how much you can steer that much at higher speeds?
    It would be great to have only the actually relevant settings in the vehicle file and later on ... like you did with the general settings under the new Options menu to expose some of those settings in a car tuning screen.

• Janusz Opiła

Janusz Opiła - 2023-04-15

Hi friends,
    I hope you are doing well!

• Onsemeliot

Onsemeliot - 2023-04-15

Well, I don't think there is anyone else still around. I fear I might have driven away marsch84 with my hesitation to actually switch over to his impressive work on the engine rewrite because I felt that losing the drifting experience might be a bigger problem than solving the instability at higher speeds. And I didn't have much time recently myself to actually finish the new maps I have been working on.
    I also was frustrated by the fact that I was overwhelmed by the need for creating a Debian package. I don't know how to do it. Therefore, for a second time all the advancements of the game in recent years aren't included in the new Debian release. And this is truly a shame because it usually is picked up from there by many other distros.
    It will be probably an other two years before we do have the next opportunity to deliver a Debian package in time.
    How have you been?

Last edit: Onsemeliot 2023-04-15
  • Janusz Opiła

Janusz Opiła - 2023-04-15

Hi,
    I am fine, thank you, I was just afraid that something wrong had happen due to pandemic or war. Nice to hear you again!

In my opinion new game engine is a good idea, however we all are somehow accustomed to funny behavior during drifting. I think that there is no reason to compete with games like eg. "Torque". Due to simplicity Trigger itself weights no more than 50 MB after installation - it is excellent result! I would rather opt for enhancement of map capabilities we discussed years ago. As you know, I've developed a series of F1-like racing circuits and lack of some effects impacted badly on the outcomes. Exemplary changing height map to 16-bit grayscale format would made tracks smoother without blurring matrix. Another option is Portable version, it could be incorporated into "Portable apps" universe.

BTW: I cannot finf command line options even after examining source code. Are there any? I'd like to start Trigger with local copy of "trigger-rally.config".

Best regards,
    J.

• Onsemeliot

Onsemeliot - 2023-04-18

You can adjust the config file sitting in your trigger-rally folder. (On Linux located in /home/[username]/.local/share/trigger-rally) But most options have been included into the in-game options menu in the mean time anyway.

• Janusz Opiła

Janusz Opiła - 2023-04-18

[SOLVED}
      /bin local config file should follow naming rule:
      "trigger-rally-0.6.6.1.config".

BR,
      J.

wt., 18 kwi 2023 o 22:38 Janusz Opiła janusz.opila@gmail.com napisał(a):

Hi,
      I am playing Trigger on Windows and Linux (v.0.6.6.1) and I have not
      spotted any button for in game menu.
      Is it triggered by keyboard shortcut?

I've try out setting up config file in Triggers' /bin directory but it
      was omitted - always file from user home directory was used.

Best regards,
      Janusz

wt., 18 kwi 2023 o 22:09 Onsemeliot onsemeliot@users.sourceforge.net
      napisał(a):

You can adjust the config file sitting in your trigger-rally folder.
      (On Linux located in /home/[username]/.local/share/trigger-rally) But
      most options have been included into the in-game options menu in the mean
      time anyway.

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in <
      https://sourceforge.net/p/trigger-rally/discussion/527953/>

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit <
      https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/>

• Janusz Opiła

Janusz Opiła - 2023-04-18

Hi,
      I am playing Trigger on Windows and Linux (v.0.6.6.1) and I have not
      spotted any button for in game menu.
      Is it triggered by keyboard shortcut?

I've try out setting up config file in Triggers' /bin directory but it was
      omitted - always file from user home directory was used.

Best regards,
      Janusz

wt., 18 kwi 2023 o 22:09 Onsemeliot onsemeliot@users.sourceforge.net
      napisał(a):

You can adjust the config file sitting in your trigger-rally folder.
      (On Linux located in /home/[username]/.local/share/trigger-rally) But
      most options have been included into the in-game options menu in the mean
      time anyway.

• Onsemeliot

Onsemeliot - 2023-04-19

Sorry if I misled you. I haven't been using the official release for so long that I forgot that most of what I am used to hasn't been officially released yet. I use the development version 0.7 that still needs to be compiled on the system.

• Janusz Opiła

Janusz Opiła - 2023-04-19

Fine, it is great opportunity for me to finally start compiling Trigger ;)
    Is 0.7 source code available?

• Janusz Opiła

Janusz Opiła - 2023-04-19

OK.,
    done,
    I've downloaded snapshot "trigger-rally-code-r1019-src.zip".
    BR.
    J.

• marsch84

marsch84 - 2023-04-20

Hi both,

glad to see, that your are still around. I am also doing well. I did not have a lot of time in the last year to spend on anything besides work and family. I can totally understand, that you want to keep the old physics engine, as the driving experience is still quite fun. I only doubt, that the vehicle model will ever work with rear wheel driven cars. So I recommend to change the Fox car to FWD or AWD, too.

If only my time would allow it, it would be great to extend the game with even more features. Especially increasing the height map to 16 bit or creating the Debian package sounds really tempting, as this would help you a bit. However I doubt, that I will have time for it anytime soon.

I wish you a lot of fun with trying out the latest features, creating new tracks and enjoying the game in general. I will continue to observe any changes and extensions to the game.

Regards
    marsch84

• Onsemeliot

Onsemeliot - 2023-04-21

Hi marsch84,

I am happy to read that you aren't offended by me not switching to the new engine yet. I didn't have much time for Trigger Rally in the last year either and it seems a shame to have so many nice unfinished features in the pipeline but not being able to make a new release containing it.

Even the damage model has still the problem that cars get damaged just by driving on a bumpy road. On longer maps this leads to very difficult to drive completely damaged cars even when not having a single crash.

I even attempted to learn C++ myself. But unfortunately I didn't get far using the introduction book from Stroustrup himself because he assumes people work on Windows and on GNU/Linux the standard libraries with the same names as on Windows partly contain different commands. So I got stuck early on not knowing if I made an error or if (again) the libraries I was supposed to link in the examples just didn't contain what I needed. This way I was frustrated enough to stop trying. I probably should attend a course to learn the basics. However, I didn't yet find one yet that uses a free software OS as the base.

I agree that the back wheel drive is a problem that we need to overcome one way or an other. In its present state the car is practically unusable. At the moment I have the feeling that even the original engine is almost impossible to have fun with. But that might just be the case because I have probably overwritten the original configuration of the car settings when testing the new engine. I need to investigate this.

Janusz, does the development version of the game work for you?

Cheers,
    Onsemeliot

• Janusz Opiła

Janusz Opiła - 2023-04-22

Hi,
      I've downloaded source code and now I'm trying to set it all up in order to
      build executables.
      Unfortunately I had a very busy week, so I didn't manage to do it yet.

Regards,
      Janusz
      // Live long and Trigger ;)

pt., 21 kwi 2023 o 08:30 Onsemeliot onsemeliot@users.sourceforge.net
      napisał(a):

Hi marsch84,

I am happy to read that you aren't offended by me not switching to the new
      engine yet. I didn't have much time for Trigger Rally in the last year
      either and it seems a shame to have so many nice unfinished features in the
      pipeline but not being able to make a new release containing it.

Even the damage model has still the problem that cars get damaged just by
      driving on a bumpy road. On longer maps this leads to very difficult to
      drive completely damaged cars even when not having a single crash.

I even attempted to learn C++ myself. But unfortunately I didn't get far
      using the introduction book from Stroustrup himself because he assumes
      people work on Windows and on GNU/Linux the standard libraries with the
      same names as on Windows partly contain different commands. So I got stuck
      early on not knowing if I made an error or if (again) the libraries I was
      supposed to link in the examples just didn't contain what I needed. This
      way I was frustrated enough to stop trying. I probably should attend a
      course to learn the basics. However, I didn't yet find one yet that uses a
      free software OS as the base.

I agree that the back wheel drive is a problem that we need to overcome
      one way or an other. In its present state the car is practically unusable.
      At the moment I have the feeling that even the original engine is almost
      impossible to have fun with. But that might just be the case because I have
      probably overwritten the original configuration of the car settings when
      testing the new engine. I need to investigate this.

Janusz, does the development version of the game work for you?

Cheers,
      Onsemeliot

• Eugene MC

Eugene MC - 2024-03-01

I have changed in vehicle.cpp this formula from:
    float drivetorque = iengine.getOutputTorque() / type->driving_wheels_num;
    to:
    float drivetorque = iengine.getOutputTorque() / 6.283;
    because this setting made too overestimated the torque of the cars. The division on the number of drive wheels completely equalized the FWD/RWD and 4WD cars, although the clutch of all 4WD gives the advantage of overclocking and torque distributed on wheels (in real machines - it is 40/60 % front/rear). 6.283 its a "2 x pi" -- this is a torque of all wheel arc length.
    This makes cars with a smoother overclocking engine speeds and overclocking machines, in addition, I set the speedrate=1.0 parameter in all machines for realistic characteristics of a cars such as acceleration from 0 to 100 km/h.

• Onsemeliot

Onsemeliot - 2024-03-22

Sorry for taking so long to reply. I was put off by Sourceforges alteration of the privacy conditions that I can only accept if I want to answer. And it is a 28 pages document without any hint on what they changed. I can only assume it is bad. So it might be sensible to finally move the whole project over to an other hosting service that doesn't force unreasonable conditions on its users.
      Your alterations sound great. How have things been going since you last posted?
      I am trying to figure out how it would be possible to create a map generator for the game. If I could pull that off it would be very easy to create new maps for Trigger Rally this way creating additional material to play through. It is a nice thought but I shouldn't be too bold. I probably will stumble upon a blockade I can't overcome.

• Eugene MC

Eugene MC - 2024-03-29
        Post awaiting moderation.
  • Janusz Opiła

Janusz Opiła - 2024-03-22

Hi,
    we were talking about development version, 0.7. Unfortunately I cannot find the source code.
    Is it available?
    If hosting service is concerned, GitHub seems to be good choice.
    Best regards,
    J.

• Onsemeliot

Onsemeliot - 2024-03-23

The version number is only set when I make a new release out of the development code. Therefore, I am talking about the code available on sourceforge.
    To my knowledge GitHub has similar problems in the area of data protection and self determination than Sourceforge. I am more inclined to use something like Sourcehut or Savannah.

<< < 1 2 3 (Page 3 of 3)