Menu

MacOS 10.15.4 slow speed with sstpc

Help
2020-05-03
2020-05-05
  • Bartłomiej Słowik

Hey,

my ISP Internet connection is 50 Mbps download and 50 Mbps upload.

I am using sstp-client version 1.0.13 on Mac 10.15.4 and faced with strange problem. I have started sstp vpn with this command:
    sudo /usr/local/sbin/sstpc --log-stderr --log-level 4 --cert-warn --tls-ext --user my_username --password my_password my_vpn_address usepeerdns require-mschap-v2 refuse-eap noauth defaultroute noipv6 nodetach lock
    Speed of my connection, checled with speedtest is aroud 1,3/1,3 Mbps.

I changed command a little:
    sudo /usr/local/sbin/sstpc --log-stderr --log-level 4 --cert-warn --tls-ext --user my_username --password my_password my_vpn_address 1048576000 usepeerdns require-mschap-v2 refuse-eap noauth defaultroute noipv6 nodetach lock
    And now I have 20 Mbps download however upload still 1,3 Mbps.

I the same time I checked same connection from my personal laptop with Arch linux. With this command:
    sudo /usr/local/sbin/sstpc --log-stderr --log-level 4 --cert-warn --tls-ext --user my_username --password my_password my_vpn_address usepeerdns require-mschap-v2 refuse-eap noauth defaultroute noipv6 nodetach lock
    I have 30 Mbps download and 10 Mbps upload.

What can I do to improve speed on my Mac? Any ideas?

Best regards,
    Bartek

• Eivind

Eivind - 2020-05-04

It's been a while since I've done any performance profiling on sstpc on Mac OSX. Last time I did this, I also ran into low speeds where the ppp0 device being the bottleneck. The writes are somehow getting character escaped because of the encoding of the data stream going to the ppp device. This isn't something that can be turned off by an ioctl (or at least not publically known).

The correct way to fix this is to implement the PPP protocol stack within sstpc itself instead of relying on Apple's implementation of pppd. However, that's not something I have the time for right now ...

• Bartłomiej Słowik

Thanks for the answer!

For me it is strange that it is more or less constant speed. I am not able to go above 1,3 Mbps - it looks for me that during connection negotiation upload was setup to 1,3 however I am not best in networking. And also interesting is fact that than before I put this big number into connection command I had constant upload and constant download both were not higher than 1,3 Mbos.

For me more important if is there anything I can try to have better performance? Anything to try will be welcome :) and very helpful :)

Best regards,
    Bartek