Menu

Scrub fails windows fatal error 21, under powered psu?

Help
Benny King
2024-01-23
2024-02-23
<< < 1 2 (Page 2 of 2)
  • David

David - 2024-02-22

So, running Snapraid on two drives works just fine - running on 20 drives does not on my current setup. And apparently no hw errors on the controller or cables, or this test-sync should've failed as well, right?

Not if it's a total load failure on the PSU.

Follow my suggestion. I had the exact same problem. This is how I diagnosed the solution. I'm not sure why you are testing a two drive sync. I would recommend moving everything to a single variable; the PSU output. Test your system using my suggestion and if you ramp to all of the drives them you know it isn't the PSU. But if you get errors as you are adding drives then you know it could be the PSU. Do the test again with different drives and if you get an error then you know it's the PSU.

The original PSU may only be strong enough to run 5 or six drives concurrently. So if you have 7 drives on it, then you'll get errors no matter how many other PSUs or drives on the other PSUs. Test your system by ramping up the power needed and then go from there.

• runewa

runewa - 2024-02-23

I'm not sure why you are testing a two drive sync.

Truth be told, I was tired and merely wanted to verify if the synchronization would function at all. But in all seriousness, I performed this test to eliminate the possibility of hardware errors related to cables or controllers before proceeding further. This gave me a sense of relief.

I'll try moving the two drives to the psu not powering the cpu to see if that changes anything.

So, I transferred the two drives that were causing the 21-error to the other PSU, which isn’t powering the CPU (since it operates at over 90% on my system during sync). And to my surprise - it worked! This marked my first successful sync in several weeks.

I’m going to put this issue to bed now. Any additional hard drive additions will be directed to the second PSU until I encounter more problems.

Once again, I appreciate all your assistance!

Edit: I just finished running a scrub (which has failed for several weeks as well) with no issues at all. Good stuff.

Last edit: runewa 2024-02-23
<< < 1 2 (Page 2 of 2)