Menu

Cannot start SEB without closing already running firefox.exe process

Help
2018-11-15
2021-07-02
  • Björn Beeli

Björn Beeli - 2018-11-15

We want to use SEB out from our LMS system.
    When we use a none firefox browser like Chrome or IE to login into LMS and launch then from there the exam in the SEB browser, everything works fine.
    But if we login into LMS with Firefox and want to launch the exam in SEB, it will not work, because SEB will first kill the firefox.exe process.
    SEB shows the message: 'The process below are running, they need to be closed before starting the exam. ...'
    In our situation it's not allowed to close the LMS session, because then the user has to start after the SEB session again the LMS session.

Why is SEB not start new firefox process for the own SEB session?
    It's allowed to run more then one firefox process - also with different configuration (at least in windows).
    That's the only way to solve that.

Our environment:
    Firefox: 63.0.1 (64-bit)
    * SEB 2.2.2

• Björn Beeli

Björn Beeli - 2018-11-19

I found a solution to launch SEB Browser out from Firefox:
    Just set to 'Allow running in background' for firefox.

• Daniel Schneider

The question is if it's possible to access windows of the already running Firefox instance or not. Since SEB 2.2.1 this security issue actually should be fixed, therefore we probably could allow having a Firefox instance already running by default. But this would first need to be thorougly tested and didn't had first priority. If your workaround is working, then that's a good solution for now.

• Hannan  Asif

Hannan Asif - 2020-07-28

I am facing issue, Whenever i run the SAFE EXAM BROWSER application version"SEB_3.0.1.163" this error occurs "SEB failed to start a new session! please consult log files for more information"

• Damian Büchel

Damian Büchel - 2020-07-28

Please always open a new thread if you have a new question / problem. The reason why no new session can be started is to be found in the log file %LocalAppData%\SafeExamBrowser\Logs\...Runtime.log.

• Chamashi fernando

this message comes up everytime n u cant log into my moodle to do the exam pks help now!!!! i have an exam tomorriw

• Chamashi fernando

i get the msg saying seb failed to load new session please consult log files? whay to do i have an exam tomorrow pls help

• Chamashi fernando

i get the msg saying seb failed to load new session please consult log files? whay to do i have an exam tomorrow pls help

• Damian Büchel

Damian Büchel - 2020-10-26

As already explained above, open the log file of the runtime and check what the actual error is. All log files can be found under %LocalAppData%\SafeExamBrowser\Logs (just paste the path in Windows explorer).

Last edit: Damian Büchel 2020-10-26
  • gina bautista huaman

how can i restart seb ?