Menu

Harmonization of code base

2021-04-28
2021-04-29
  • Ueli Banholzer

Ueli Banholzer - 2021-04-28

Dear SEB-Team

Thanks a lot for your hard work. We were excited about SEB 3.x - it was a great decision to switch over to the Chromium engine.

Are there any plans to harmoize the code of macOS and SEB 3.x into a single (or similar) code base based on .NET Core or similar?

Thanks a lot

Kind regards
    Ueli

• Daniel Schneider

No, definitely not. Many parts of SEB are very closely interacting with the operating system. Therefore it would be counter productive to use a non-native platform technology/frameworks/languages.

SEB 3.0 for macOS and iOS will use the improved WebKit browser engine (WKWebView), which provides improved web API compatibility. Integrating a Chromium-based browser engine would require a lot of development resources, which we don't have. In addition, iOS/iPadOS apps cannot use another browser engine. Therefore it's much more effective to use the unified macOS/iOS WKWebView API for both versions (which share large parts of their code).

I know that many web developers would prefer having to support only one browser engine (Chromium/Blink), but such monopolism is very unhealthy and we can be thankful that there still are three browser engines around...

• Ueli Banholzer

Ueli Banholzer - 2021-04-29

Hi Daniel!

Thanks for your answer. As a Firefox user I definitely agree that we can be thankful that there are still multiple browser engines around. ;-)

My question is based on the question how we should (organizational) plan the support of SEB over the next years in our product. If there would be an harmoize on the roadmap, we would wait with an extensive testing. As we always must support all engines available, it won't add more complexity to our engineering process.

Thanks a lot

Kind regards
      Ueli

Last edit: Ueli Banholzer 2021-04-29