Menu

QuakeSpasm physics

Help
Gman
2017-08-21
2018-02-22
  • Gman

Gman - 2017-08-21

The secret super health box you have to jump up to in E1M1 is a good example. With cl_forwardspeed 500 I can barely make the 1st rung if I jump just right from on top of the button. WIth cl_forwardspeed 9999 I can easily make the 2nd rung. Thing is Quake 1 top speed is 320 (sv_maxspeed), so I see no reason why cl_forwardspeed 500 would have a problem. I believe sv_maxvelocity is max due to forces such as explosions and perhaps gravity terminal velocity.)

Positions
    Jump launch point on edge of button: 1206 2535 -208
    1st rung: 1040 2599 -216
    2nd rung: 1040 2562 -184

Distances
    to 1st rung: -8 units vertical, 178 horizontal
    to 2nd rung: +24 units vertical, 168 horizontal

Do you jump higher, or is it just that you're so fast that gravity doesn't have enough time to lower your altitude by the time you get to the rungs?

Checked out vanilla glquake, and heck I can make the 2nd rung easy just with the default cl_forwardspeed 400 (heck I could even make the 2nd rung with cl_forwardspeed 270)

Maybe the trajectory is different than glquake, plotting a trajectory curve might help solve the mystery.

• Eric Wasylishen

Eric Wasylishen - 2017-08-21

Quake physics are fps dependent, if you're raising host_maxfps that could explain the difference from glquake. What FPS is this happening at (scr_showfps 1)? Try setting host_maxfps 72 and see what happens.

I can make the jump from the button to the 2nd rung with cl_forwardspeed 270 in Quakespasm with the default host_maxfps (72).

• Gman

Gman - 2017-08-22

I suppose the trajectory becomes smoother and smoother as the host_maxfps goes up. In Quake 2 map base3, after you get the blue keycard you can immediately jump up through a window. That is if your framerate is sufficiently high.

I accidently set host_framerate in QuakeSpasm, seems to make time go by insanely fast!

For me cl_forwardspeed has to be at least 600 to make it to the 2nd rung, and least on this computer, regardless if host_maxfps is 72 or 240. I have joy_enable 0 so theoretically that should be interfering.

FPS is around 70 with host_maxfps 72, around 189 with host_maxfps 240.

Last edit: Gman 2017-08-22
  • Gman

Gman - 2018-02-22

Wall friction is driving me up a wall, pun intended! I don't know how the wall friction was in the original Quake, but it would be nice to alter it, I want to be able to quickly slide along walls without having it hold me up. Been playing GZDoom, having similar wall friction to that would be nice.