Menu

External Tools not configured for working with Arduino

KJC
2021-01-05
2021-01-06
  • KJC

KJC - 2021-01-05

I have installed the latest package for QP and Arduino but when I open the QM 5.0.0 non of the external build environment variables are there. The Manage External Tools dialog box is plank and all tools are hammers.

Arduino 1.8.13 installed
    qp-6.8.0-arduino-1.8x install
    used QM 5.0.0 that came with qp

installed per readm.me insturctions

• KJC

KJC - 2021-01-06

pic of Manage External Tools

• KJC

KJC - 2021-01-06

QM 5.0.0 pic

• Quantum Leaps

Quantum Leaps - 2021-01-06

As described in the updated QP-Arduino blog post, the "External Tools" menu in QM is no longer configured for direct building Arduino projects. This is because Arduino kept changing their build process and it was impossible to keep adjusting the External Tools. Also, after introducing support for ARM-based Arduino (QP/C++ library for Arduino), the support for Arduino builds has become even more problematic.

So, instead of using QM directly, the intended way of working with the Arduino examples is to use the Arduino IDE for building and downloading the code, but to configure it to use external editor.

This "external editor" is now the QM modeling tool, where you can work with the models (.qm files) and then to generate code from these models. In this scenario, the Arduino IDE is used only to build and upload the code to the Arduino board(s).

I attach a screen shot from this workflow. The "external editor" mode of the Arduino IDE is really nice, because it automatically picks up any changes made to the project files.

--MMS

Last edit: Quantum Leaps 2021-01-06
  • KJC

KJC - 2021-01-06

I haven't been able to access your support page for the Arduino until this morning. Thanks for fixing the broken link