Menu

Pymprovisator project is suspended.

2005-01-14
2013-04-08
  • David Asorey Álvarez

Pymprovisator project is suspended.

Why?. I've discovered a wonderful free program that makes an excellent job generating acompaniment MIDI files.

This program is MMA (http://mypage.uniserve.com/~bvdp/mma/index.html). It's a command-line program who reads a text file and generate a wonderful MIDI file.

Pasted from MMA's web page:

------
    "Musical MIDI Accompaniment" is an accompaniment generator -- it creates midi tracks for a soloist to perform over from a user supplied file containing chords and MMA directives.

MMA is very versatile and generates excellent tracks. It comes with an extensive user-extendable library with a variety of patterns for various popular rhythms, detailed user manuals, and several demo songs.

MMA is a command line driven program. It creates MIDI files which are then played by a sequencer or MIDI file play program.

[...]

There are lots of other generators like MMA. The most popular are "Band In A Box" and "Jammer". The problem with many of these programs is that they lock you into a proprietary format, work only with limited computing platforms, or insist on a silly GUI which limits your choices. You might think that the lack of a GUI is limiting, but we've found that MMA's method gives you a great deal of flexibilty in setting volumes, patterns, etc.
    ------

I have tried this program and I have seen that it's much better than Pymprovisator, so I am going to stop the development of my program. It has a lot of interesting features, such as style, tempo and volume changes in the middle of a song, customizable style files and an extensive documentation.

In a future I woud like to write a graphical user interface for MMA, but it isn't available yet.

Of course, you may use the old Pymprovisator program yet, but it's is no longer supported.

Thanks to all, I'll keep you informed.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Sorry to hear pym is no more I dont think the ordinary computer user like myself would be able to set up the MMA prog you mentioned. From what I see at their website its gobbleygook
      wil

• David Asorey Álvarez

I'm assuming that you are using Windows.
        Have you read the instructions?
        (http://mypage.uniserve.com/~bvdp/mma/win/WindowsHowto.html)
        It seems to be easy.

If you are using linux or another UNIX clone, just run the script 'install'.
        The program is available as Debian package too. (apt-get install mma)

David.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Thanks for reply. I may give mma a try but it all sounds a bit daunting for windows. I still think pym had possibilities.
      Anyway best of luck with what you do.
      wil