Menu

Non reproducible continuation

Help
2016-08-17
2016-08-26
  • Maurizio De Pitta'

I might have hit a bug, but I am noticing that often, for example when dealing with LP-C curves, upon re-running the ipython (jupyter) cell with the same code, I obtain different results from run to run: meaning that with respect to the first run, on further runs either some bifurcations go missing, or the system does not converge... I am not doing any other continuation in between runs. I am just re-running the same notebook cell. What could be the source of this issue? Looks like there is a possible memory leak somewhere...

• Maurizio De Pitta'

I can confirm this once again. Either from detection of spurious ZH points to failure to converge in the recomputation of just computed branches with the identical parameters... It looks a bit suspicious...

• Drew LaMar

Drew LaMar - 2016-08-26

Hi, Maurizio. I think the non-reproducibility is due to the random default initialization of the tangent vector. This is done to avoid causing numerical issues with the linear algebra routines. Essentially, if I give a fixed default tangent vector, it might lead to a singular matrix for a very specific problem. Choosing a random one effectively makes this possibility zero for all systems. Try choosing a fixed initial tangent vector. Let's see if we can't get the reproducibility thing fixed before dealing with the spurious bifurcation points.

• Maurizio De Pitta'

Thanks Drew.
    I am going to check it. How can I choose the tangent vector and feed it to the continuer however? Should I just temporarily alter Continuation.py or can I set it by a method/argument of the continuer class?

• Drew LaMar

Drew LaMar - 2016-08-26

You can specify the initdirec argument of the continuer class, as a dictionary.