Restoring data

Help
Anonymous
2004-02-16
2004-03-19
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2004-02-16

Hi,

last week my memory disk died and took away all data on the psion. So I reinstalled the oprating system and tried to restore a backup. This failed because the D-drive (old memory disk) was missing. Is there a way to restore all data to the C-drive?
    I also untarred the full backup and wanted to look for some data manually. Here I encountered some strangeness. The tar-file is nearly 6MB large. The untarred file have only a size of 3 MB and lots of files are missing. Does anyone know, why this happens.

Thanks for help

• Reuben Thomas

Reuben Thomas - 2004-03-19

Restoring data to the C drive: just copy it manually. Use plpnfsd if you're not using it already; that makes it easy.

Tar file containing bogus data: sorry, I don't know anything about this. I just tried untarring my psion backup and it looks fine. One thing I can suggest: if your backup process is updating the same tar file over a long time period, then it will continue to grow, and deleted files will just be marked as deleted, not actually removed. So in fact, you can have a 6Mb tar file with only 3Mb of live data.

If on the other hand you were expecting more data, perhaps the tar has become corrupted.