Menu

Multiple flags?

2004-02-10
2004-02-10
  • Greg Norman

Greg Norman - 2004-02-10

I just had a question about one of the overall goals of the project.

Does the design of the application allow for multiple flags on the same site/DB? As I understand it, the application will be available to developers to download and set up for their own flags, using their own hosting arrangements. But that doesn't mesh with the current design of the database.

It looks like there are flag ID's in various tables throughout the system. In what scenario would that value ever vary for a crew or pirate on a single system? It seems each installation should be flag specific, with a single configuration area for that flag's setup. From there on, the flag's identity should be taken for granted in that system.

This also affects my approach to layout and whether flag-specific customization should be done dynamically or through code/stylesheet modification.

• Jason M. Wisnieski

We do currently support multiple flags.

While a single pirate will never be in more than one flag at the same time, it's possible for the pirate to move between flags by changing crews. That's why, for example, the Flag Promotion database includes the Flag ID field. If I'm Royalty in Silver Dawn, I could still change to another flag and become a Member or Titled member. My new promotion history should not display the old promotion values - it'd be misleading without the flag information as well.

Moreover, the current released version supports 'invisible' flags - you can declare all the flags you want, for the purposes of cross-linking information, displaying allies, etc., but the site won't seem to host that flag.

Indeed, my test box has three flags on it - Two public, one private, with crews and pirates in each, just for testing.

In terms of flag-specific customization, this is a huge item on my want list. Also crew-specific. How these would be stored and such is something I have no clue on, but would love to learn about.