Data Entry

Help
Anonymous
2003-01-08
2004-05-10
  • Anonymous - 2003-01-08

hello......

Thanks for developing the best tool for lib. Mgm.

However, being a non technical person, in library science, i am not been able to find the way. how to insert a new book record on entry form

i think i am missing some basic idea about the data entry form, can u please let me know the basic of it with a short example or link to any help.

it would be very helpful for me.

Thanks

• Jon Lesser

Jon Lesser - 2003-01-22

The record input is based on the MARC system for cataloging. It's a standard developed by the Library of Congress back in the day but it's still widely used.

The idea is there are field numbers and then values. for example in phpMyLibrary you would enter field 384 on the left and that might by chance be the title field (It's not really). Here's a good link to get you started http://www.loc.gov/marc/umb/

There are also services that have databases of MARC data that librarys can subscribe to. I'm still looking into this. Maybe if you ask your local library they can hook you up.

Good luck.

-Jon Lesser

• pino

pino - 2004-05-10

Is it possible to define template entries for the cataloging tag&value form? This may be very useful for non technical and may be useful to define a minimal set of data to enter.

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks