Menu

True synchronization?

Chris Wood
2023-08-20
2023-08-26
  • Chris Wood

Chris Wood - 2023-08-20

I currently use a password manager on the PC that is matched with a compatible app on Android . They aren't the same product but have a compatible data structure so that they can interchange entries, and so can synchronize their contents.

I manage the PC program and I'm deciding if I want to continue maintaining it. I'm looking at Password Safe to see if it can replace it. My main concern is synchronization. My PC program can communicate directly with its sibling mobile app to synchronize their entries. It is designed to handle the fact that entries may be updated in both places independently. It follows these rules (from the documentation):

An entry that:
    exists only in one location is created in the other
    has been updated in one location is copied to the other *
    has been deleted in one location is deleted from the other *

• provided that the entry in the other location has not itself been modified since the last sync operation. If it has been, a conflict exists which the program cannot resolve automatically, and you will have to indicate what you want it to do. The program will open the sync window so you can do this.

How would I do this sort of operation with Password Safe? I don't think Password Safe on different platforms intercommunicate directly, but could this be achieved by moving "safes" around?

• Mick Mickle

Mick Mickle - 2023-08-21

If you keep the database file on OneDrive and use Password Safe on the PC and PasswdSafe (with companion app PasswdSafe Sync) on Android, it will stay accurately updated no matter which platform is used to edit it.  Whenever the database file is open and editable, the platform app will create a temporary file with extension .plk.  If the database file is open on both platforms with ongoing edits at the same time, you may have more than one .plk file which will probably trigger creating a separate database with "conflicted" in the filename.  You can compare file dates and database contents using "Compare" and other operations that Rony mentioned to decide what should be kept if that happens.The same technique works on Dropbox and some other cloud services. Your database file is protected by the Password Safe encryption and a strong password. The file is decrypted only on your PC or device, not on the cloud.Works well for me.
      -------- Original message --------From: Chris Wood ceperman@users.sourceforge.net Date: 8/20/23 3:31 PM (GMT-07:00) To: "[passwordsafe:discussion]" 134800@discussion.passwordsafe.p.re.sourceforge.net Subject: [passwordsafe:discussion] True synchronization? I currently use a password manager on the PC that is matched with a compatible app on Android . They aren't the same product but have a compatible data structure so that they can interchange entries, and so can synchronize their contents.
      I manage the PC program and I'm deciding if I want to continue maintaining it. I'm looking at Password Safe to see if it can replace it. My main concern is synchronization. My PC program can communicate directly with its sibling mobile app to synchronize their entries. It is designed to handle the fact that entries may be updated in both places independently. It follows these rules (from the documentation):

An entry that:
      exists only in one location is created in the other
      has been updated in one location is copied to the other *
      has been deleted in one location is deleted from the other *

provided that the entry in the other location has not itself been modified since the last sync operation. If it has been, a conflict exists which the program cannot resolve automatically, and you will have to indicate what you want it to do. The program will open the sync window so you can do this.

How would I do this sort of operation with Password Safe? I don't think Password Safe on different platforms intercommunicate directly, but could this be achieved by moving "safes" around?

True synchronization?

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in https://sourceforge.net/p/passwordsafe/discussion/134800/
      To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• Chris Wood

Chris Wood - 2023-08-22

That seems just what I'm looking for. Thanks. I'll check it out.

• Trevor Vance

Trevor Vance - 2023-08-23

I've been doing something very similar to Mick for years without any hassle. Android/Linux-pc/Windows-pc synched to OneDrive

• Trevor Vance

Trevor Vance - 2023-08-23

I've been doing something very similar to Mick for years without any hassle. Android/Linux-pc/Windows-pc synched to OneDrive

• MrMe

MrMe - 2023-08-26

If you need app on iOS that supports PasswordSafe, see the app pwSafe 2 or Strongbox. pwSafe 2 is what I use.

• Rony Shapiro

Rony Shapiro - 2023-08-21

PasswordSafe doesn't try to do automatic synchronization. There are Merge, Compare and Synchronize operations under the File menu to help with this.

• Ulrich Boche

Ulrich Boche - 2023-08-26

I'm using pwsafe 2 also. With PasswordSafe, I use the option to write back changes immediately. My database is on my Dropbox ( yes, you have to make compromises in life) and changes are almost immediately available on the iPad and iPhone.