Menu

CPU Temperature on AMI BIOS not reported

Thomas Goh
2010-01-22
2013-04-01
  • Thomas Goh

Thomas Goh - 2010-01-22

Hi,

Not sure where to post about this but I am having problem getting the CPU temperature from ipmitool.  From reading my motherboard documentation it states that newer Intel processors do not report absolute temperatures anymore (it might be that the BIOS is just taking advantage of this).  So when I look in the BIOS and web based BMC console the temperature is listed as "low" and not the exact temperature.  This new method will report Low, medium, high.

See page 85.  www.supermicro.com/manuals/superserver/1U/MNL-1116.pdf.

When I run ipmitool sensor I get

CPU2 Temp        | 0.000      | unspecified | ok    | ….

So it registers as 0 degree.

At this point I am at a loss on how to check the temperature.  And lmsensor is a whole different issue.  It doesn't recognize the dev or cpu and most of the module won't even load.  So before, I go wasting more hours on this and start compiling stuff to get lmsensor working, I would like to see if any of you had the same problem and how you solved it and whether this is genuine bug and where I should report it to?  Open Ipmi or ipmitools.

The processor is:
    Quad-Core Intel Xeon Processor 5500 sequence (Nehalem-EP processor)

BIOS is: AMI BIOS

• Corey Minyard

Corey Minyard - 2010-01-22

This is probably the wrong place to post this problem.  First of all, it's likely to be a bug in the motherboard firmware.  But if that's not the case, ipmitool is not supported as part of this project, I suggest you post to their mailing list.

• Thomas Goh

Thomas Goh - 2010-01-23

Thanks for the input.  I will try the ipmitool mailing list. 

I think the motherboard is fine as it report correctly in the BIOS and in the web based BMC tool as "Low", "Medium" or "High".  So basically, my thought is that the BMC is now reporting the low, medium or high values as opposed the absolute value.  Anyway I am not sure how openipmi operates but as long as as ipmitool is receiving the low, medium or high values it should be reporting that value.