Menu

Installation failed - can't connect to ...

Help
LoriH
2011-04-12
2013-05-30
  • LoriH

LoriH - 2011-04-12

Good afternoon,

I tried to install OpenBiblio on my home pc last night (windows vista), and made it successfully to step 6:

6. Install OpenBiblio
    Open a new browser window and type
    http://localhost/openbiblio/install/index.php
    in the address bar. The installation welcome page opens. Check “install test data” and click on
    “Install.”

I got a server error when I try to connect to that site. Is it not possible to install this on a home pc without having server space somewhere? Am I supposed to change "localhost" to something else? Please excuse my ignorance. My programming is mainframe plus a python class.

Thanks in advance,

Lori

• BRC

BRC - 2011-04-12

hello Lori

yo have to install a web server like Apache
    http://webdevcodex.com/tutorial-installing-apache2-php5-mysql5-phpmyadmin3-windows-7-vista/

the you will be able to browse openbiblio at localhost

• LoriH

LoriH - 2011-04-12

When I followed the instructions to install easy php, it says to click on the icon and make sure that I have green lights for "both apache and php." But, even though apache is green, I have to do a separate install of apache? If I follow the link you sent and execute those instructions, will it matter that I already started installing the other way? (Meaning I'm no longer starting from scratch, so will that mess things up?)
    THANKS for your help!

Lori

• BRC

BRC - 2011-04-12

If you had already performed an apache instalation then you haven´t to do it again. What you have to do is check if your firewall or  Windows aren´t blocking the port 80 access  on your localhost.
    But what for sure you have to have working is apache, php and mysql in order to openbiblio works too

• Nobody/Anonymous

When I click on that link, I get the same error as last night:

Unable to connect
    Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost.
        *   The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
              moments.
        *   If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
              connection.
        *   If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
              that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Easyphp is version 5.3.6.0. From the EasyPHP it looks like the apache is 2.2.17 and mySQL is 5.5.10.

• Nobody/Anonymous

MySQL 5.5, then it must be this issue:
    https://bitbucket.org/mstetson/obiblio/issue/36/mysql-558-type-deprecation
    If you use PHPMyAdmin to check you will probably see that the OpenBiblio tables are still empty.

Follow the link to the issue to see how to fix the SQL commands. After correcting the files, the install process should finish without errors.

• Hans van der Weij

Or try a lower version number for MySQL.
    EasyPHP 5.2.10 comes with MySQL 5.1.

• LoriH

LoriH - 2011-04-18

I will try these suggestions when I have time this week, and let you know if anything works! Thanks!

Lori

Anonymous
Anonymous

Add attachments
Cancel