Menu

zerofill 1.09

2023-08-23
2023-10-08
  • fritz.mueller

fritz.mueller - 2023-08-23

Hi,
    I just tested zerofill 1.05 and 1.09 today as 1.05 is part of the FreeDOS distribution. It works, I needed a while to see that it creates 4 x 500 MB files for a "shown" 2 GB file.
    While this is a good solution for the old FAT format, it is not usable for bigger FAT32 partitions that FreeDOS supports for a longer time now (max. 2 TB now!). As zerofill deletes the temporary files at the end (2GB) it is not usable for such big partitions as it would have to write more than 8.000 files with 500 MB size.
    With 8.3 this would not be possible but with another filename, e.g. "zero8000.fil" this would work.
    Are there chances to improve this?
    Sometimes it is also helpful to see that the temporary files were really made - and to keep them. Would it be possible to offer a question: "Do you want to delete the temporary files zerofill.000 - zerofill.999 (Y/N) (yes, I know that this example only supports 500 GB).

Thanks for reading.

• Nikkho

Nikkho - 2023-08-24
      <title></title> <meta http-equiv="Content-Style-Type" content="text/css"> <style type="text/css"><!-- body { margin: 8px 8px 8px 8px; background-color: #ffffff; } /* ========== Text Styles ========== */ hr { color: #000000} span.rvts1 /* Heading */ { font-weight: bold; color: #0000ff; } span.rvts2 /* Subheading */ { font-weight: bold; color: #000080; } span.rvts3 /* Keywords */ { font-style: italic; color: #800000; } a.rvts4, span.rvts4 /* Jump 1 */ { color: #008000; text-decoration: underline; } a.rvts5, span.rvts5 /* Jump 2 */ { color: #008000; text-decoration: underline; } a.rvts6, span.rvts6 /* Normal text */ { color: #0066cc; text-decoration: underline; } /* ========== Para Styles ========== */ p,ul,ol /* Paragraph Style */ { text-align: left; text-indent: 0px; padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px; margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px; } .rvps1 /* Centered */ { text-align: center; } .rvps2 { margin: 8px 0px 8px 0px; } blockquote.rt { margin: 0 0 15px; border-left: 4px solid #81c784; padding: 0 0 0 12px; display: block; } blockquote.rt p { margin: 0px 0px 0px 0px; padding: 0px 0px 0px 0px; display: block; } --></style>

You are right. At the moment Zero Fill is using _dos_getdiskfree to get free disk space which is not valid for FAT32 nor other FS. My idea is to use AX=0x36 or AX=0x7303 (extended) to get free disk space, and thus write bigger files. This will require additional changes since as you said a FAT32 partition can be up to 2 TB, but file size is limited to 4 GB.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Remitente:    fritz.mueller <willy-billy@users.sourceforge.net>

Destinatario: [nikkhokkho:discussion]  <other@discussion.nikkhokkho.p.re.sourceforge.net>

Fecha:        miércoles, 23 de agosto de 2023, 16:54:26

Asunto:       [nikkhokkho:discussion] zerofill 1.09

Archivos:     <none>

--====----====----====----====----====----====----====----====----====----===--

Hi,
      I just tested zerofill 1.05 and 1.09 today as 1.05 is part of the FreeDOS distribution. It works, I needed a while to see that it creates 4 x 500 MB files for a "shown" 2 GB file.
      While this is a good solution for the old FAT format, it is not usable for bigger FAT32 partitions that FreeDOS supports for a longer time now (max. 2 TB now!). As zerofill deletes the temporary files at the end (2GB) it is not usable for such big partitions as it would have to write more than 8.000 files with 500 MB size.
      With 8.3 this would not be possible but with another filename, e.g. "zero8000.fil" this would work.
      Are there chances to improve this?
      Sometimes it is also helpful to see that the temporary files were really made - and to keep them. Would it be possible to offer a question: "Do you want to delete the temporary files zerofill.000 - zerofill.999 (Y/N) (yes, I know that this example only supports 500 GB).

Thanks for reading.

zerofill 1.09

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in https://sourceforge.net/p/nikkhokkho/discussion/other/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

• fritz.mueller

fritz.mueller - 2023-10-07

Hi,
    I just wanted to ask you if I can help you with tests etc. to make zerofill work with bigger file systems.
    Thx for response.

• Nikkho

Nikkho - 2023-10-08

Thank you for your offer Fritz. Unfortunatelly my Youtube channel is getting most of my free spare time. This means that my website, my books, and my software are almost stalled right now.