Menu

Where are the services for a host group?

2019-01-19
2019-11-22
  • Dan Langille

Dan Langille - 2019-01-19

If I am at admin/hostgroups.php how do I see the services which are associated with this host group?

• Dan Langille

Dan Langille - 2019-01-19

It appears this is done through Administration -> Supervision -> Services

Select your service, add it to a host group.

• Freddy000

Freddy000 - 2019-11-21

Hello.
    as you said you associate a service to an hostgroup by selecting "Administration -> Supervision -> Services"
    but if you select "Administration -> Supervision -> Host Groups" you cannot see which services are associated to that hostgroup. That's a pity, as it would be great if that could be done.
    should I add a feature request or can this topic be moved?
    greetz and thanks
    Federico

• Martin

Martin - 2019-11-22

These are two different ways to connect services to hosts. Usually one or the other way is used. Entering them in both files would be like duplicating the allocation. I don't think that would be a good idea.

• Freddy000

Freddy000 - 2019-11-22

Hello Martin. thanks for the reply.
    I agree that operationally if you add a service to an hostgroup or if you add an hostgroup to a service is a duplicated feature.
    But I try to explain why it's still a good idea to have it with an example: you create an hostgroup named "windows-hosts" and you associate a few services to that group, like PING, MEMORY, CPU, etc, etc.
    you only know what services are associated to that hostgroup, another Nagios/NagiosQL administrator has no idea if he should just add a new host to the hostgroup or associate extra services to it.
    the only ways to know what services are associated to an hostgroup are: check all services and see to which hostgroups are associated (not really handy), or add a temporary host to the hostgroup and see what services it gets in Nagios (even here, not really handy).
    This is why I think it will be a nice idea to have that feature: visibility!
    thanks and regards,
    Federico