Menu

ACES Metadata File (AMF) support

Dan Tatut
2021-04-22
2021-04-27
  • Dan Tatut

Dan Tatut - 2021-04-22

Hi,

I was wondering if there is a plan for mrViewer to support ACES Metadata File (AMF), the successor for ACESclip.

mrViewer seems to have all the features required and the development effort seems minimal.

I am currently chairing the AMF Implementation Group and the group can help with technical information, test vectors and test material.

The specification can be found here:

https://aces.mp/S-2019-001

Thanks for considering this feature request.

Dan

• ggarra13

ggarra13 - 2021-04-22

Currrently, there's no plan to support AMF (first time I heard of it). I looked at the specification and I ran scared. It is a way too complex XML implementation compared to ACESclip and requires too much programming on my part.

• ggarra13

ggarra13 - 2021-04-22

What programs/cameras support AMF?

Last edit: ggarra13 2021-04-22
  • Dan Tatut

Dan Tatut - 2021-04-23

Hi,

Thanks for having a look at the specification. I must say that I'm a bit surprised by your comments since AMF follows the same architecture as ACESclip, although the XML aspect has been re-engineered.

ACESclip has been dropped in favor of AMF which is the new specification. The expectation is that applications that support ACESclip would migrate to AMF.

Currently several commercial high-end tools support it and a few open source implementations exist. The specification has been released last year and we had a first revision that got released on March this year.

In terms of XML complexity, I do not see exactly what you mean since ACESclip had the same (actually ACESclip was even a bit more complex).

Anyway, if you want to reconsider your position at some point, you can have a look here:

https://github.com/pomfort/amf-util

This tool is an open source implementation. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions or need more information.

Thanks

Dan

• ggarra13

ggarra13 - 2021-04-25

Yes, forgive me. I had had an ugly day. I already started writing a saver for AMF and it is progressing nicely. I had some doubts about some things but I guess that's better handled privately.

• Dan Tatut

Dan Tatut - 2021-04-25

Hi,

No worries ;)

Please do not hesitate to contact me about any help you may need. Also you're obviously invited to join the AMF Implementation Group calls if you wish. Let me know.

Thanks

Dan

• ggarra13

ggarra13 - 2021-04-27

Hi, Dan.

How can I contact you? I sent a mail to d****@marquise-tech.com and have not heard back.