Thank you for your effort to develop an easy-installable package for Octave on Windows. Today I tried to install it, but unfortunately it did not work out: This is what I did (in Windows 98):
1) Download octave-windows-2000oct25d.exe
2) Start this program. Let it install things in the default "c:\Program files\gnu\octave"
3) click on the icone for "octave.bat". This results in an MS-DOS box with the message that the program could not be found.
"\Program files\gnu\octave\octave.bat" had the following contents:
:: ..generated by GNU Octave setup.bat
if not exist \tmp\nul mkdir \tmp
"119 10-26-00 11:43a Directory.bat\bin\bash" --login start
The line with "119 10..." is probably not right.
Furthermore, there are the following (potential) problems:
1) The names of the files in "...\octave\bin" are all in upercase. However, bash is case sensitive and
expects lower-case file names.
2) The installer does not put "...\octave\bin" in the path. As a result, bash will not find the programs
in this directory.
With some tweaking I succeeded in running RXVT.EXE. However, this results in a window that opens very briefly, and then diappears without leaving any traces.
I hope that this report is helpful for you.