Menu

Jamulus <-> Zoom

2020-10-20
2021-02-03
  • Anthony Deighton

I have a Jamulus server running on EC2. I want to connect the unified sound from the people jamming to Zoom. All the singers/players connect to this server in EC2.

Approach A: run a second machine on EC2 with Zoom client and Jamulus client and that is the "connection" to Zoom.
    Approach B: install the Jamulus client (in addition to the server) and the Zoom client on the "server" and bridge the audio.

Which approach is better/will work? Asked a bit differently: does the server output an audio stream local to the server machine (that zoom can pick up), or do I need to install the client to get it?

• Charlie Channel

Charlie Channel - 2020-10-21

I don't think either approach you've proposed will work. Whenever I've attempted to run Zoom and a Jamulus server, the latency explodes (putting Zoom on the server side). I believe audio is processed by Zoom (somehow) and is routed through everything and that increases the latency. I always got red lights. I also tried using a video switcher on the server side. It just didn't work.

The solution that works for me (regardless of the server selected and being used) is to take the output from the Jamulus mix from machine A and route it to a second machine B that is running Zoom. Attachment from A to B is via audio cable going to input on machine B. There will be latency in the send from Zoom versus Jamulus, but the musicians don't care. It's the audience that will be getting a somewhat unified experience. If the musicians want to see the Zoom feed, I use a third device (mobile phone or tablet) to see the Zoom feed (but not hear it).

One evening, we did an experiment using Jitsu and we were able to "see" each other on the Jamulus client machine ("A"), with audio muted. But, I prefer to keep the functions separately. My MacBook Pro used for the Jamulus client can spasm sometimes, going into a reboot at an awkward time for some reason.

C

• DonC

DonC - 2020-10-21

Hi Anthony,
    Look at this thread, there are several solutions mentioned:
    https://sourceforge.net/p/llcon/discussion/533517/thread/070485619d/#6b71

(note: try using the forum search function, I found this in no-time)

• Tim Lynch

Tim Lynch - 2020-11-05

I too want to facilitate my choir group where some people are running Jamulus but others only have Zoom. The goal is for everyone to join Zoom for video and shared/common audio, but when it is time to sing, have Jamulus-enabled participants be able to sing together on Jamulus and share that Jamulus audio feed into Zoom, which Zoom-only folks can listen to and/or sing along while muted.

My first attempt was just to use Zoom screen share from my Mac joined to both Zoom and Jamulus with the Zoom "share sound" option enabled to bring the Jamulus sound into the Zoom conference. This doesn't work; Jamulus audio isn't picked up by Zoom "sound sharing" capability.

Then I found this audio routing software for Mac (https://rogueamoeba.com/loopback/). The good news is that it does what I need, the bad news is that it costs $100. I've seen references to free solutions for Linux and Windows on other threads on this forum, but I'm a Mac guy, so I figured it was worth it to pony up for the convenience of using my preferred platform.

So here's how I use it: using the Loopback software above, I essentially created a new virtual "microphone" named "Jamulus" on my Mac with the Jamulus application as the audio source (this is a one-time step). I deselected the Loopback option "Mute when capturing"; otherwise I won't be able to hear the Jamulus audio on my local Mac itself.

Now whenever I want to facilitate Jamulus to Zoom sharing, I:
    - instruct all Jamulus-plus-Zoom participants (but not me) to mute themselves in Zoom and connect to the Jamulus server
    - I connect to the Jamulus server, too
    - I change my Zoom audio settings to use "Jamulus" as the audio input for Zoom
    - if I want best-quality Jamulus sound for the Zoom participants, I can optionally enable Zoom option "Turn on original sound"
    - before we sing, I instruct Zoom-only participants to mute themselves

Now all participants can hear both the Jamulus and Zoom audio. The only downside/glitch is that all Jamulus-plus-Zoom participants (other than me) will hear themelves twice/echoed: once from the Jamulus domain and once from the Zoom domain (as shared from Jamulus by me). The solution for this, if desired, is to have them disconnect from Zoom audio entirely using "Leave Computer Audio" under the Zoom "Mute button" audio options menu. While in this state, they will not be able to hear Zoom-only participants when they speak, however, so it involves additional twiddling of settings when the group transitions between "singing mode" and "talking mode".

I hope people find this helpful; suggested improvements/alternatives appreciated.

Last edit: Tim Lynch 2020-11-05
  • Clara Chan

Clara Chan - 2020-12-28

Could you explain how to use Blackhole to route Jamulus sound into Zoom on a Mac ? or is there already a description somewhere you could provide a link for? (the link in your message above just brings me back to this same page.)

• Doug Sharpe

Doug Sharpe - 2020-12-29

Check out my comment on this thread https://sourceforge.net/p/llcon/discussion/533517/thread/c4dae9e17e/#6339/c807/0ff1

Once you get the Blackhole piece worked out, I think you will want to adjust the Zoom audio settings under Audio/Music and Professional Audio to turn off the noise suppression, etc. so you just get the original unprocessed sound.