Menu

Audio send only mode

JoschiC
2021-01-12
2021-01-15
  • JoschiC

JoschiC - 2021-01-12

Feature request: Client switch to "Send Audio only"
    Due to the limitation in Jamulus to send just 2 channels, I'm using two instances of the Client. 2 channels for my instrument (keybaords) with mic mixed in. In addition a Click-Track/Backing Track will be sent with the 2nd client.
    BUT: With the 2nd client I also recieve the mix from the server a second time (that doesn't make any sense). To reduce traffic (from the server and to the client) I would love to see a switch (start parameter or in the GUI - I don't care) to have Jamulus Client in a "send only" mode. The Client just need to send the audio from the input.
    Somehow the server must be aware of this mode.
    As long as the 2 channel limition per instance exists it would improve network trafic for people who need more then 2 channels to send. Does this request make any sense?

• Vincenzo

Vincenzo - 2021-01-12

I am not sure how difficult is, but at least is somewhat different from the usual "Receive Audio only" aimed at listeners :) . Both could be useful, however, download bandwidth is (much) less critical than upload.

• JoschiC

JoschiC - 2021-01-13

I don't know about the difficulty as well. And regarding Bandwidth I do not agree. Because for the Server side it is an upload. Running a second instance and getting the same mix doesn't make any sense for anybody. So it's useless - then why send it? That was my point here.
        But maybe it makes sense for someone so I would let the user decide and would give him/her a switch to enable this mode.
        To take the "listener mode" in account I can imagine somthing like this would make sense:
        Mode: Normal (send and receive)
        Mode: Listen (Receive only)
        Mode: Cast (Send only)

• JoschiC

JoschiC - 2021-01-15

How is the process to a feature request? Is this the right place here? Just wondering because no developer responded so far...

• Vincenzo

Vincenzo - 2021-01-15

The usual place for feature requests is the Github site: https://github.com/corrados/jamulus/issues

• JoschiC

JoschiC - 2021-01-15

Thanks for the fast response! :-)

• DonC

DonC - 2021-01-15

Hi Joshi,
      The place to make feature requests is here: https://github.com/corrados/jamulus/issues
      Take a look at the Developers Forum if you want to help get things done quicker yourself. Jamulus depends on the volunteers who do the development in their spare time for free.

I don't want to discourage you, but I think the chances of a quick development for your issue are small. The issue is not disabling and bothers only a very small percentage of people, as you are the first to bring it up as far as I know.
      You will agree that the development of Jamulus versions for iOS and Android, which are now on the table, will be getting priority.
      Don