Menu

JAMULUS on a Real Time Linux PC

2020-03-24
2020-07-11
  • Vincenzo Fantacone

Hi Volker,

I'm a musician and I have a Band.
    I would be very much interested in buying a Linux PC configure for
    working as a Real Time Machine on which a Jamulus server runs!
    I don't know which is the motivation that moved you for
    developping such great Idea, but if you make an offer for selling it to private,
    please let me know. If you want you cas see it also has a donation that I make
    for co-financing your project. I do not want to habe any exclusive on the
    final product, it has to remain an open souce project, but you should
    configure a Linux PC for me able to run my Private Jamulus Rehearsal Sever...
    Please, let me know!... any way thank you for your great Idea and for giving access
    to it to everybody!
    Music will rescue us! :-)
    Ciao
    Vincenzo

• Gilgongo

Gilgongo - 2020-03-24

Hi Vincenzo!

First let me point out that I'm not the creator of Jamulus. That's Volker Fischer and he deserves all the thanks for this project. I'm just a random guy on the forum. :-)

However, can you explain a bit more about why you would be interested in buying a machine pre-configured with a private Jamulus server on it? It's an interesting idea, but I'm not sure what the main reason for it would be.

For example: is it because you do not have the skills to set one up yourself? That's of course a legitimate reason, although installing and configuring a Jamulus server is comparatively easy (I would say easier than setting up a Wordpress installation, for example).

As you imply, organising hardware and the distibution of it would be a large undertaking, so the advantages of that would need to be large. If there are enough people out there who feel they do not have the skills to install a Jamulus server (on Linux at least - on Windows it's even easier!) then do you think we need more of a "beginners guide" that assumes less knowledge?

• Vincenzo Fantacone

Hi Volker,

and Thank you very much for the clarification :-)
    First, I think, at least in my case, a "very beginnet guide" would be usefull!
    Second, since I find that the Server already has a very good performance, I gues that
    if one manage to install it on a Real Time configured Linux Kernel, the latency would be
    probably imperceptible...
    Third, unfortunately my family situation (I have an severe handicapped child at home) does not left me so much times for configuring/installing the operating system/software myself, since in the resting time I have to work...

Do you have some experience with Real Time Kernel on Linux?

Ciao
    Vincenzo

• Gilgongo

Gilgongo - 2020-03-24

I'm not Volker - my name is John. Volker is the creator of Jamulus. Sorry for the confusion! :-)

since I find that the Server already has a very good performance, I gues that
      if one manage to install it on a Real Time configured Linux Kernel, the latency would be
      probably imperceptible...

I'm not sure that would be true in the case of a "pure" server that is not using any audio interface, since RT really only relates to Jamulus's use of Jack, which isn't necessarily required for a server.

If the server has sufficient bandwith and CPU (which can be prioritied using RT it's true, and since Linux 2.6, the real-time stack has been part of the Linux kernel, having a kernel patched with a real-time stack is no longer necessary), then most of the latency issues are due to packet transfers between the server and the clients. The minimum requirements for a server are pretty small :-) There are some people reporting success running Jamulus on Raspberry Pi, for example.

Basically, dedicated hardware for a server is probably not going to get you any less latency. Instead, make sure all the musicans using the server are on wired (not wireless) connections, aren't also using their client machines and Intenet connections for anything else, and are using decent low-latency audio interfaces to their instruments (eg Behringer UCA222).

Incidentally, have you seen server the HOWTO I wrote? It would be good to get your feedback on it. Is there anything it needs to help people undertand more about what to do?

• Vincenzo Fantacone

Hi Gilgongo,
    thabk you for your answers and patience :-)
    Is the installation with your Guide possible also on
    a very old portable Mac PC?
    Ciao
    Vincenzo

• Vincenzo Fantacone

Hi Gilgongo,
    thabk you for your answers and patience :-)
    Is the installation with your Guide possible also on
    a very old portable Mac PC?
    Ciao
    Vincenzo

• Gilgongo

Gilgongo - 2020-03-24

No problem Vincenzo.

OSX is significantly different from Ubuntu (for example, you would need to work out how to install the Qt devel libraries), so I doubt the guide would be very helpful beyond the basics. I also don't have a Mac available to test on, I'm afraid. But I would think that it's certainly possible to run a server under OSX.

• Nicholas Neil-Boss

Hi - you do not need to buy hardware and set up a server. Best solution in my opinion is to rent a Virtual Private Server (VPS) running your choice of Linux (this can be done for less than 10 Euro per month). You do not need a very powerful one . I am using UK2.net which I can ping to < 6 ms from where I am. Probably best you use one that has a point of presence geographically close to you as this will impact your ping time from your Jamulus client.

• Gilgongo

Gilgongo - 2020-03-25

BTW I've just seen this - so your idea exists! Sort of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7WaU_QiYkc

• BTDT

BTDT - 2020-07-11

Last edit: BTDT 2020-07-11