How to Use

Help
Jim
2013-02-23
2014-10-09
  • Jim

Jim - 2013-02-23

It's taken two days trolling through this convoluted and cranky Sourceforge system to get to this forum ! Into the third day now, I still don't know where I should log in although I seem somehow to have managed it - I don't quite know how I did ...

1...I have KeePass up and running with two test logins in the database. I have gone to the login page and prompt for the first with the KeePass database open and on-screen, but am now completely at a loss as to what to do actually to log in. The documentation seems to assume that this is intuitive - it isn't !

2...How do I change the master password? - can't find anything about this.

Regards

Geo

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2013-02-23

ERROR! The markdown supplied could not be parsed correctly. Did you forget to surround a code snippet with "~~~~"?

To change the database Master Key, open the database then select File->Change Master Key…

On a real database, it is a good practice to have a backup or copy of the password database (kdb(x) file) before changing the Master Key since making a user error at this step (e.g. a typo in your new password) could make the database unavailable.

For the most part the documentation is written in the style of a reference manual, but there is a very brief [first steps tutorial](http://keepass.info/help/base/firststeps.html).  

An important password manager functionality of KeePass is Auto-Type. The user must invoke Auto-Type, default KeePass does not auto-form-fill. When Auto-Type is invoked, KeePass types keystrokes into the target page beginning from the point where the user has placed the cursor.  There are three methods of Auto-Type, the most powerful being the [Global Auto-Type Hot Key (default key is Ctrl-Alt-A)]( http://keepass.info/help/base/autotype.html#autoglobal).  An important concept that trips up many users, is that KeePass Global Auto-Type ALWAYS searches its own  database for matches to the *Window Title* (e.g.in a browser, this is the string on each browser tab), NEVER to the *URL* (e.g. not the URL in the browser's address bar).  By default KeePass performs the database search on entry Titles.  If using KeePass 2.x, try the example entry by double clicking on the entry's URL in the main KeePass view page. After you have demonstrated that global auto-type works, edit the entry's Title to understand how that affects Target Window matching.

Sourceforge login is located in the upper right corner of the page.

• Jim

Jim - 2013-02-25

Wellread-1 wrote:

To change the database Master Key, open the database then select File->Change Master >Key

Thankyou.

An important password manager functionality of KeePass is Auto-Type. The user must >invoke Auto-Type, default KeePass does not auto-form-fill. When Auto-Type is >invoked, KeePass types keystrokes into the target page beginning from the point >where the user has placed the cursor. There are three methods of Auto-Type ...

But ... what advantage dows that give over my present method of keeping logins as Autohotkey strings? Apart possibly from secure storage. (No need to open a database).

... NEVER to the URL (e.g. not the URL in the browser's address bar).

Noted. I was using the URL on the test.

Regards,

Cheemag.

• Paul

Paul - 2013-02-24

There are some video tutorials that are very helpful.
    http://keepass.info/links.html#help

cheers, Paul

• Jim

Jim - 2013-02-25

Paul wrote:

There are some video tutorials that are very helpful.
      http://keepass.info/links.html#help

Thanks for that; I'll have a look.

Regards,

Cheemag

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2013-02-25

But ... what advantage dows that give over my present method of keeping logins as Autohotkey strings? Apart possibly from secure storage.

I think you answered your own question. Though I's add, management ease, and portability.

• Jim

Jim - 2013-02-27

Ok. Thanks. Point taken. :o)

Regards,

Cheemag

• jmac

jmac - 2014-10-08

Where are instructions on how to use KeePass?? The help page only offers marketing info - nothing of use. I just installed it and don't know how to begin at all. The web-help pages talk about dialogs that are not available - grayed out on the menus. Can anyone point me to a basic tutorial or instructions?

• jmac

jmac - 2014-10-08

I just found http://keepass.info/help/base/firststeps.html through Google. Don't really understand how to get there from KeePass help page, but I'll take what I can get.

• Paul

Paul - 2014-10-09

I was going to send you to that page.

cheers, Paul

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks