I would like to increase my security by changing passwords according to "last access"

Help
wjs
2014-05-06
2014-05-07
  • wjs

wjs - 2014-05-06

Hello,

I want to periodically remind myself to change my most used passwords.
    I tried using the expiration date, but then I have to reset it after changing the password; it is just error prone.
    I had the idea to use the date "last access".
    I used the find feature to expand all entries in all groups, then tried to sort by the date "last access". I could not get this to work.
    Does this work for anyone else? Something I am missing?

Does anyone out there have another suggestion about how to remind myself to change my most used passwords?

Version: Windows, Keepass 1.x from portableapps.com

Thanks for any help!

• Paul

Paul - 2014-05-06

You can select the last access field in the column view, but it's not accurate unless you save the database after every use - who does that? I wouldn't bother to change passwords as long as they are secure in the first place, but if you really want to I'd stick to using the expires field.
    1. Export to a text file.
    2. Select only group, title and expires.
    3. Import the file into a spreadsheet and sort by expires.
    4. Change the passwords as required.

cheers, Paul

• wjs

wjs - 2014-05-06

Thanks for the answer.

About every six months, I generate new passwords for my mail, banks, amazon, etc.
    I have been doing this for years.
    I thought I could manage this list of websites to change my password on directly in keypass.

I would not generate a new password for all the entries (594 entries, 61 Groups), but just for the ones I use more often.

Your suggestion exporting and importing(?) seems like a bit of manual work and I am afraid of destroying the data; I was thinking of just editing the entry in Keypass, generating a new password, and that's it.

The problem is how to find the entries? Having 61 Groups, I would have to go to every group.

It would be nice if I could just sort an by date access while the 61 Groups are expanded, but if I cannot, I can always tag the ones I think should be more secure with a "$secure" or any other string.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

• Marc

Marc - 2014-05-06

For what it's worth...I set a tag and an expiration date on entries that require me to log in periodically. So either it will prompt me when it's close to expiring or I can select that tag and it will show me all of those entries.

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2014-05-06

It would be nice if I could just sort an by date access while the 61 Groups are expanded...

KeePass 2.x, but not 1.x, can sort the entire database. Last Access Time can not be selected from the User Interface in 2.x, but it can be made made visible by editing the config file. See https://sourceforge.net/p/keepass/discussion/329220/thread/0b1fb6e3/#a232. You would also need to create a trigger to save the database on close or the Last Access Times will not be saved reliably.

Last edit: wellread1 2014-05-06
  • Paul

Paul - 2014-05-06

I didn't suggest importing into KeePass, just a spreadsheet to use as a reference into KeePass. It is manual but I can't see an easy way, except tags, but they don't sort by date.

cheers, Paul

• wjs

wjs - 2014-05-07

Thanks everyone! I have about 15 entries to periodically change. So, I will tag them and eyball the oldest ones! Once again, many Thanks!