SourceForge has been redesigned. Learn more.
Close

Comodo Forum Log-On Oddity

Help
John L.
2013-05-15
2013-05-27
  • John L.

John L. - 2013-05-15

https://forums.comodo.com/index.php

If I go to this site by itself, KeePass inserts Username and password automatically. However, if I load it as one of six sites, using the Firefox "Open All in Tabs" command, Keypass does no enter the log-in formation; to get it to load, I have to reload the Comodo page.

Any idea as to why and/or what to do to fix this?

I just noticed this: Comodo is the fifth of the six tabs, and http://forum.avast.com/ is the sixth. As with Comodo, KeyPass does not enter the log-on information for the Avast! forums unless I also refresh that page.

Last edit: John L. 2013-05-15
  • Paul

Paul - 2013-05-15

KeePass doesn't fill anything in automatically. Do you have a plug-in / browser extension?

cheers, Paul

• John L.

John L. - 2013-05-15

Yes, I ought to have stated that I am using KeeFox, which would have been rather apparent had I also stated that the first tab of the six, which is for Windows 7 Forums, has its log-in information inserted as soon as I load all six tabs.

(Not only that, but I even know that `its' is the possessive form of the pronoun 'it'.)

• John L.

John L. - 2013-05-16

A second group of sites with the same problem as the first: I have three sites in Firefox with the tag "railfor" [short for `railroad forums']; when I click on Smart Bookmarks, railfor, Open All in Tabs, all three sites are loaded.

The first site has no log-on; it is a forum that I read, but of which I am not a member. Sites two and three do not show their log-on information until I refresh the pages.

To try to figure out the cause of the problem, I removed the `railfor' tag from site one; when I then loaded the two remaining sites using "Open All in Tabs," site one had its log-on information inserted by KeePass/KeeFox, but not site two.

Perhaps this information will assist someone in figuring out what the problem is, and how to fix it. Before using KeePass/KeyFox, I was using the Firefox extension PasswordMaker, which did not have this problem of failing to load log-on data.

• John L.

John L. - 2013-05-16

After posting the above message, it occurred to me that the problem might lie not in KeePass but, rather, in KeeFox. found that KeeFox has a forum, and a quick search there found a brief one-year-old thread that seems to verify my suspicion that it KeyFox has a bug that apparently has never been fixed.

When I have some time, I shall register for that forum, post an inquiry about what I have encountered.

• Paul

Paul - 2013-05-17

I suggest KeeFox only looks at the current tab for login information. Personally I think this is correct behaviour for security software.

cheers, Paul

• John L.

John L. - 2013-05-17

I used PasswordMaker for several years, which always inserts log-on information for tab groups, without ever having anyone steal any such information. I don't consider this a matter of security, just a matter of a nuisance.

• John L.

John L. - 2013-05-27

A brief message to close this: Yes, the KeyFox programmer eventually responded to my inquiry on the KeyFox forums that he considers this a matter of security, but also indicated that he is considering adding an option to insert UserId/Password information automatically in cases such as mine, where I load a group of forums into Firefox tabs.

In situations such as that, I don't see a security problem; even were someone to steal my log-on for a forum, I'd notice that quickly and change the information, and I don't load such things as bank or credit card sites as groups.

Finally, it was pointed out to me that I can insert the log-on information for sites in tab groups from the KeyFox toolbar, which shows which tab I am on.

Thus, my questions/confusion have been taken care of, at least for this matter; other questions and confusion about life shall have to be left as they are....