Menu

Upgrading to KeePass 2.23

Help
DavidB
2013-07-21
2013-07-21
  • DavidB

DavidB - 2013-07-21

I downloaded the upgrade to KeePass 2.23.
    Looks like it does a completely separate install of 2.23 instead of updating the existing version I had (2.22). Being relatively new to KeePass, I still have many questions. For now, I am wondering how to properly complete the upgrade. Is it simply a matter of copying the 2.22 database to the 2.23 folder and carry on as usual? That's it?

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2013-07-21

If you install KeePass 2.23 using the installer (EXE) version, and the existing installed version of KeePass 2.x was also installed using the installer, then the new version will be installed in the same directory as the old, replacing old files and leaving the user configuration intact.

If the old KeePass 2.x version was installed using the portable (ZIP) version, or it is a version of KeePass 1.x, then the KeePass 2.23 installer will install a new version of KeePass 2.23 without touching the existing installed version. The newly installed KeePass 2.23 may use either a new user configuration, or an existing configuration, depending on whether a keepass.config.xml file already exists in the User Application Data directory.

If you are installing KeePass 2.23 using the portable (ZIP) version, you can install it wherever you want without affecting previously installed versions.

If you want the typical Windows "installed application experience" use the Installer (EXE) version. This is probably preferred by most users unless they require additional flexibility.

If you want maximum flexibility, use the ZIP version. Create a new Programs directory and copy the files contained in the ZIP into a directory such as "C:/Programs/KeePass2". It is better to not use the predefined "C:/Program Files" and "C:/Program Files (x86)" on recent versions of Windows. These have special properties and are intended for use by programs installed using an installer.

Last edit: wellread1 2013-07-21