Menu

Corrupt or Invalid signature

Help
2016-01-13
2016-02-17
  • Lee Robinson

Lee Robinson - 2016-01-13

When I downloaded KeePass-2.31-Setup.exe, Windows 7 told me that the signature was corrupt or invalid. Should I ignore that?

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2016-01-13

In the absence of the exact error message, I suspect you are encountering a warning that frequently appears after each new release of KeePass and persists until the new release develops a reputation. See this FAQ for details.

Last edit: wellread1 2016-01-13
  • Pete d'Oronzio

Pete d'Oronzio - 2016-01-29

I'm getting the same error. I've never seen it before. I know the one you're talking about that indicates that a file is infrequently downloaded and may be harmful. This message is different:
    "The signature of KeePass-2.31-Setup.exe is corrupt or invalid."
    See attached image

• Dominik Reichl

Dominik Reichl - 2016-01-29

See the FAQ:
    http://keepass.info/help/kb/faq.html#siginv

Best regards,
    Dominik

• glen.84

glen.84 - 2016-01-30

Dominik,

I get "Unknown Publisher" on Windows 10 (SmartScreen) -- I think it's because of the SHA-1 usage -- maybe this could be removed now?

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2016-02-01

KeePass is mentioned in digital signature - Deprecation of SHA1 code signing certificates on Windows - Information Security Stack Exchange.

Even if I do the download using Chrome, when I executre it, Windows warns me that it might be dangerous. I think it is unfortunate that, for whatever reason, people are expected to ignore warnings. Malware makers are celebrating.

Last edit: Anonymous 2016-02-01
  • Paul

Paul - 2016-02-01

And as one post points out, KeePass runs on his W10 machine without issue.
    This really is a Windows implementation problem and users are caught up, as usual.

cheers, Paul

• Paul

Paul - 2016-02-04

To show that the SHA1 signature is not an issue, the Microsoft Windows 10 setup.exe is also signed with SHA1 & SHA256.

cheers, Paul

• Rune Moberg

Rune Moberg - 2016-02-12

Paul, the setup.exe you refer to is signed with BOTH.

And that is the key here. Windows (as of 2016-01-01) requires that installers and executables be signed with a SHA256 certificate. AFAICT that same SHA256 cert can also be used to generate an additional SHA1 checksum to keep Vista users happy. But at the end of the day, a SHA256 cert is now required for files marked with the "web" attribute (browsers tend to set this attribute for stuff downloaded from the web).