See latest modification log before saving

Help
Omid Rad
2015-09-18
2020-02-20
  • Omid Rad

Omid Rad - 2015-09-18

Hi all,

Is there any way to see what were the latest changes in a KeePass database before saving? Sometimes when I close KeePass it asks me to save changes, and I can't remember what was the change that it is trying to save. I may lose something if I don't save, or if someting was modified or deleted mistakenly, I may be saving wrong data. So it would be great if there was an activity log I could quickly check before saving the database.

Thanks!

Last edit: Omid Rad 2015-09-18
    • R. Hoek

R. Hoek - 2019-02-20

In the latest version (2.x) of Keepass it's an menu action.

Just go to: Edit > Show Entries > Last Modifed Entries!

👍
  • wellread1

wellread1 - 2015-09-18

To view the most recently changed entries in KeePass 2.x before saving the database (or whenever you want to review recent changes); display and sort all entries by the "Last Modification Time" column in the Entry List View pane (check Last Modification Time in 'View>Configure Columns...'):

• Set 'View>Grouping in Entry List' to OFF
    • Check 'View>Show Entries of subgroups"
    • Sort the entries in descending order of the "Last Modification Time" column

Entries that were recently changed will be at the top of the Entry List View pane. If you wish to see the previous values in an entry you can open the entry's Edit dialog and display the most recent History entry (History tab on the Edit dialog).

If you are concerned about preventing lost data when if don't save frequently, the "Auto Save" trigger example can save whenever you make a change. It also implements a toggle button that can be used to turn the auto-save feature on or off.

👍
  • Biff Boffo

Biff Boffo - 2015-09-20

"Last modification time" is not there by default. Added under

view/configure colomns

• Michael murier

Michael murier - 2017-10-01

Thank you WellRead1. I had a lot of problem with this as I am using the free version which is good enough for me. And I had a lot of trouble to remember the last added entries to share over other 2 other devices. (DT, LT and phone) So I find this of great value. I had to understand that I needed to add the "last modification" from the "Configure Columns" (So logical once you realise what it does!" Then blindly followed with "off" to "Grouping in Entry List" (I'm sure there must be some logic here too, but just did it!). And yes a "descending" order did just that. (Although for some reason it showed me the bottom of my page, instead of the top! But all it's very well now I realised I needed to scroll up.)
    Not part of the question, I wonder if anyone has some idea why my 'tree' repeats the first 6 folders starting with "General" and continues with the same 6 folders (this time containing my data as the earlier set has nothing in them). The second set continues after "%homeBanking" with Personal, Backup, Forum (I created) and Recycling Bin. Actually these folders are level with "General" ,where as the 1st 6 are inside "General."

• wellread1

wellread1 - 2017-10-01

I wonder if anyone has some idea why my 'tree' repeats the first 6 folders starting with "General" and continues with the same 6 folders (this time containing my data as the earlier set has nothing in them).

At some point you imported a password database into an empty database and that is now your current database. Even though the group names can be the same in different databases, they are treated as different during import because they have different internal ids.

I had a lot of problem with this as I am using the free version which is good enough for me.

All authorized KeePass editions (1.x and 2.x) are free. They are labeled either "KeePass" or "KeePass Password Safe". The offical download site can be accessed from https://keepass.info/download.html.

If you encounter a KeePass version that is being sold, it is likely an unauthorized party trying to make money off of unsuspecting innocents. Please feel free to report your discovery on this forum.

• Kalosgem

Kalosgem - 2020-02-20

For latest version (currently I am using 2.44), go to Find->Last Modified Entries
    It will shows all change in order.

Kalosgem

Last edit: Paul 2020-02-21