Autp-Type Password only

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • NCC-1701-M

NCC-1701-M - 2012-05-18

I think it would be great, if you would add an auto-type hotkey for the password only. Some sites for example Amazon preallocate the username when you re already logged in and you'll place an order. So you have only to enter the password.

Best Regards,

• Bruce

Bruce - 2012-05-20

I have found this 'key and action sequence' to be, while long and seemingly complicated at first, very useful:

1. alt-tab (to KeePass)

2. Search for Entry

3. Highlight Entry

4. ctrl - c

5. alt-tab (back to my browser)

6. ctrl - v (the password field already had focus first, right?)

This procedure does have its own quirks though..

• Anonymous - 2012-05-21

To the OP: You can accomplish this by editing your Auto-Type string. Duble-click on the entry in KeePass, click on the Auto-Type tab, select te Override default sequence radio button, and delete {USERNAME}{TAB}. Now the entry will only enter the password.

To make this the default for a group of (or all) entries, edit the group and repeat the sequence above.

• EKS_Forge

EKS_Forge - 2012-05-21

I think what Mike was trying to say (and I like his idea), is to add a second Auto-type key to all entries with a default of doing the auto-type you are saying.
    So default Auto-type = Ctr-Alt-A =  {DELAY=50}^a{UserName}{TAB}{Password}{ENTER}
    Second Auto-type = Ctr-Alt-x = {DELAY=50}^a{Password}{ENTER}
    This way you press Ctr-Alt-A when you login the first time and and need username and passworkd and Ctr-Alt-x when it asks you for only the password. This way you will only have one entry in your keypass 2 db for both auto-type sequences instead of having to make two (like you have to make now to get his to work).

• Frank Glaser

Frank Glaser - 2012-05-21

+1 for a Second Auto-type

• Anonymous - 2012-05-21

Got it: sorry for missing the point. Yes, this seems like a good idea.

• Aaron J. White

Aaron J. White - 2012-06-01

+1 - Sounds like a good idea. Currently, when a site remembers my username I usually hit enter key (without a password) to purposely fail the first attempt. Then use then auto-type on the failure page where both user & pass are usually present.

• Anonymous - 2012-06-12

+1, that would be great to have this.
    For now I just duplicated the entry "with references" and modified auto-type to only type the password. This works, but it would be great to have a dedicated hotkey instead.

• Jlrith

Jlrith - 2012-06-21

+1 to this.  I would like this to be able to enter my password when websites disable pasting for a change of password entry. 

• PjottersTheName

PjottersTheName - 2012-11-15

I agree with the previous poster. A lot of sites have disabled the pasting ability in password fields, so you cannot use Ctrl+C in KP and then Ctrl+V on the site.

• Tony Gravagno

Tony Gravagno - 2013-05-02

I've been looking for this for a while.
    We can duplicate our own auto-type sequence (not the entire key) and remove the {UserName}{TAB} combination, then select the password-only entry at run-time.
    But it would be better to do this programmatically when a secondary hot-key is used:
    - If there is only one sequence, strip the {UserName}{TAB} from that and paste.
    - If there is more than one sequence, select the first non-default sequence that matches the target window and which does not contain {UserName}.

That's a little haphazard. It might be better to clearly define which sequence is password-only for a given target. Maybe this could be done using metadata in the sequence which is used to identify the purpose of the sequence, but it's ignored when actually processing keystrokes. For example: {PasswordOnly}

Is that a good definition of the logic we're requesting? I wish I had time and knowledge of the package details to do this. As a C# developer I'm guessing this wouldn't be too tough. If no one else has this on the roadmap I might take a shot at it.

Duplicate request here.

• Dominik Reichl

Dominik Reichl - 2013-05-02

If you implement this as a plugin, I'll happily publish it on the plugins page.

An introduction to plugin development can be found here:

Best regards,

• Derek Wickham

Derek Wickham - 2013-05-10

Why not use keepass to re-enter the username? Use the {clearfield} facility to erase the one it suggests (whether right or wrong). Then all you have to do is position the cursor on the username and press the hotkey. It would be nice if {clearfield} was activated for all entries by default.

• John L. Galt

John L. Galt - 2013-05-15

The Clearfield does not always work - on some sites (and this may be browser specific, as I have not actually tested it lately), particularly where a cookie already has the username saved, the password field is pre-selected. So, you'd have to also use some manner of moving back to the username field so you can clear it. Different sites use it differently - sometimes a simple {Shift} + {tab} works - sometimes it's 2X that. Sometimes you cannot use the Shift key at all.

It would be a radical concept to have KP actually check and see if the username is already filled in (and, even better, have it parse the username that is filled in) so it could auto-type to correct password - but I'm not sure if that would even be possible.

A second, global Password only / alternate global auto type mechanism seems by far the most feasible.

Last edit: John L. Galt 2013-05-15
  • Shaan

Shaan - 2014-02-04

+1 from me for a password only auto-type key combination. Some sites don't even let you edit the username field to select and press ctrl-alt-a, so this would be a welcome addition.

• Paul

Paul - 2014-02-04

Add a second Target Window which only send the password - edit the entry and select the Auto-Type tab. Now KeePass will prompt you to select the correct entry.

cheers, Paul

• i84tjknm6

i84tjknm6 - 2014-02-06

There are more and more of these, so I've changed my default auto-type to be

Select the username field (prefilled or not) and Alt Ctl A.

{HOME}+{END}{BACKSPACE} will select the field and delete it (still works if not prefilled) then continue auto-type with the usual. I initially had {DELETE} instead of {BACKSPACE}, but often got the ALT CTL DEL combination bringing up the task manager. Haven't had any problems since then.

• bartonnen

bartonnen - 2014-02-12

+1 for this request.

Some google and microsoft sites display the user name pre-populated and read-only, so having a shortcut key that would type only the password would be very useful.

The suggestion to alter the auto type string for these sites to password only is not ideal - as sometimes these sites require both the user name and password.

Probably just skipping anything in the autotype sequence that appears before {PASSWORD} would be a solution.

Last edit: bartonnen 2014-02-12
  • Paul

Paul - 2014-02-12

See my post, 2 above yours, for a simple method that covers all possibilities.

cheers, Paul

• Ctrl Code

Ctrl Code - 2014-02-24

Couldn't an integration plugin do an active field count? If only one field, KP sends only the pword.
    Of course, this won't work on sites that don't disable or remove the username field and keep it open for edits when prefilled.

How about detecting focus? Password fields are almost universally below or to the right of the username field. Site's don't typically place focus on a prefilled or disabled field.
    So, if focus is on the top or left field, KP/plugin knows the username field is active; if bottom or right field has focus, it knows it's the pword field. Appropriate data is sent based on focus.
    This could eliminate the need for multiple targets or multiple hotkeys.

Last edit: Ctrl Code 2014-02-24
  • wellread1

wellread1 - 2014-02-24

Strategies such as you describe are probably possible. Various integration plugins that work as Auto-type aids to full-on Form fillers have been built. One of these might suit your need.

The prospect for a particular potential add-on or plugin depends on the ambitions and capabilities of individual 3rd party developers. The KeePass developer has left browser integration out of KeePass proper; but the KeePass design provides a mechanism for third-party developers to implement plugins.

• AlexVallat

AlexVallat - 2014-02-24

For example, my WebAutoType plugin optionally detects password fields using the UIA accessibility API. That way, if you have the focus in a password box it skips the username and only types the password. Works great with Firefox, but Chrome's latest Aura update unfortunately broke it's UIA support, so the password field detection sadly doesn't work on those versions any more.

• Tony Gravagno

Tony Gravagno - 2014-07-21

I'm still seeing a need for this every day.

@Paul : You're talking about creating a new target window for every site where we find this situation. I'd rather not do that, though BTW, I already did provide that exact solution on 2013-05-02. I'd rather just have a new key sequence that does a password-only version of the login for Any entry.

@AlexVallat : WebAutoType looks good but this seems to require that each entry needs the URL specified, where (for example) right now a simple *google* will work for all Google sites. If we're going to modify our entries anyway, we don't need a plugin.

@Dominik Reichl : While this is good plugin material, I think we're still hoping for this to be added to core. Obviously there is a common and general need/request for it over a long period of time.

So far, I think the consensus would be to have a user-specified hotkey which goes through the exact same logic to detect an entry from a target window, but when the sequence is executed, we only want whatever comes after {UserName}{TAB}. In other words, just check to see if the hot-key was the Password-Only key, and if so, do a .IndexOf and .Substring to parse off whatever comes before and including {UserName}{TAB} before processing the keypresses. So there are three edit points: The Options/Integration form, the hotkey entry point, and right when executing the sequence.

Why that approach and not focus on the {Password}? Because that's too late in the string. For example, if we have something like {UserName}{TAB}{DELAY=60}{HOME}+{END}{DEL}{Password}, how will it know where to start that? The key text is not related to the password but to whatever happens immediately after {UserName}{TAB}.

As an added bonus (not being greedy here but trying to be efficient): The {UserName}{TAB} text could just be a default for a user-defined sequence. For example, {UserName}{ENTER} could be just as valid. Perhaps at a later date a user could replace or augment the default sequence with one or more other sequences which can be searched prior to the keypress action.

If that's accurate, I'm hoping others here will please "+1 0721". (Today's date) If not, please suggest a revision to the logic.

And Dominik, I'm thinking that doesn't fit what we can do with a plugin, but if it does then maybe one of us should try it.

• Glenn

Glenn - 2014-07-22

Instead of a new target window, which might not work anyway if it's the same as the original, how about a completely new Title and just make the auto-type sequence to {PASSWORD}{ENTER} on the second title. Then when the hotkey is entered you can pick either the full username & password or password only entry. Easy with 1 click of the mouse. Title #1 could be "eBay" for example and Title #2 could be "eBay - p/w only".

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)

Get latest updates about Open Source Projects, Conferences and News.

No, thanks