Menu

Way to view all entries beneath any parent?

2006-10-31
2019-03-07
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Maybe I should be posting this in the help forum as this functionality might exist and I'm just missing it...

What I'd like is the option to click on any parent category/group and see in the view all the entries that are beneath it, including those in the subfolders. That is to say if I were to actually click on the top-most group (say the 'general' default group),  I'd like to see all the entries listed beneath it from all folders. Clicking on the subfolders beneath would then narrow down (filter) the results even further.

Is this option available? If not, I'd really love to see it. (Thanks for the great tool.. been using SplashID for a long time, but I now need one that can work with a database file on both nix and windows and this application looks perfect.)

• Paul

Paul - 2006-10-31

No way to do that at present. Why do you need to do it?

cheers, Paul

• Nobody/Anonymous

The reason why I like that view is sometimes you might not remember a key word to search on, and you want to look at all the entries that are in some sufolders. It also makes it nice in my opinion for cleaning up entries and removing some duplicate entries that you might have entered another name within another subcategory.

For example under the 'Internet' section I have several subcategories. Maybe I called one of the internet password sites "MY NFL site" or maybe I just called it "Football" - but I don't want to have spend time searching for the key word I 'might' have used and I might not recall what subfolder I put it under. I would like to be able to see all the entries beneath "internet" in which case I'd be able to browse through the entries by simply glancing on the screen.

Not a big deal I guess to others and I could deal without it, but if it's not that difficult to implement I'd love to have the option to view all items in any subcategories.

• Nobody/Anonymous

That's what I really missing too...

In this is the only reason why I am not using KeePass, so I use Password Agent for this.

This feature is on request list forever but it's still not implemented. And if I'm not mistaken, v2.0alpha doesn't have it too.

• Nobody/Anonymous

I was thinking that I would like the same thing too, but hesitated posting the request since I am unaware of how this would be best implemented.  If I have sub-folders such as "Mail", "Finance", and "Newspapers" under my "Internet" folder, it would be nice to see all of my Internet connections.  But if I stored other, categorized entries under the "Internet" folder itself, how would I display this without it being cluttered by all of the sub-folder contents?  I, personally, don't do this, but some might.  There is probably a elegant solution somewhere... just not with me.

• Nobody/Anonymous

Yes, I do store other, categorized entries under the "Internet" folder itself. The only way that I can see this done is like Total Commander (windows) file manager does its "flatten directory" view, Ctrl+B hotkey toggles between showing a top-folder contents view and a recurse-top-folder flat contents view.

• Dominik Reichl

Dominik Reichl - 2007-12-26

KeePass 2.04 will support this. Entries of sub-groups can be shown in the entry list of a group.

The entries will be grouped like in the search results view. Screenshot: http://keepass.info/filepool/flatview.png .

Displaying groups like this of course is optional. The view can be toggled using 'View' -> 'Show Entries of Sub-Groups'.

Thanks and best regards
      Dominik

• Luigi VISINTIN

Luigi VISINTIN - 2008-02-12

I've just found this project from some friend, and after downloading I'm testing... I'm currently using ckddWallet, which as also a pocketPC companion, so I can use the SAME db on both my NB AND my pocketPC/Phone. What I'm missing is a FLAT view of all the items, and I did already find the' search' option: if I click on 'search', then I DO NOT enter anything in the search textbox what I see is exactly what I qould expect, but... If I try to sort this grid it disappears, and I'm back on the standard 'single folder' view... Very depressing, to findwhat you're searching for and then BOOM....
        Out of jokes... I think this is really a very small 'bug' (not a feature...) to clear the list fom search.
        There's anyway to solve this? I'm almost ready to jump from ckdWallet to Keepass...
        TIA
        Luigi

• John L. Galt

John L. Galt - 2007-12-29

Sweet!  I get to drool more over the next release in the 2.x series.

• Paul

Paul - 2008-02-13

Sorry Luigi, no dice.

cheers, Paul

• Michael murier

Michael murier - 2019-03-07

Hi there, Got here because I seemed to remember I could sort the column or a column to see the last modified and thought also to remember I could see all the entries regardless of their folder. I may be wrong here, My memory is not as good as my PC's!
    However I see someone asking why would you need this. I thought it's obvious as if you have several devices and want to share laters entries in those. It's a very valuable tool.
    I know you could use the cloud then update your devices with the updated upload...But if you have new entries from several devices I think it's just easier to compare them and add to each others what is missing and so should show in the latest modification display from each device.
    Sorry I don't know how to get things in 3 lines!
    I'm glad to see this may happen with V 2.04 As it is no fun to have to go through each folder to find out.