Menu

Perhaps a simplistic question about using Keepass with browsers

MindFree
2022-06-25
2022-07-07
  • MindFree

MindFree - 2022-06-25

For those websites where I don't have my browser (I use Chrome lately) remember my login information I usually open Keepass and I use the information which is in Keepass accordingly.

I notice that there are plugins that are said to make the input of usernames and passwords more easy. However, if I understand it correctly Keepass has to be open all the time in order for these plugins to function. Doesn't this pose a security risk in the sense that by having Keepass being open continuously all my Keepass information is exposed to, say, malware?

If I'm wrong, which plugin would you suggest that I could use assuming that it would be better than the Auto-Type feature of Keepass?

• Paul

Paul - 2022-06-25

KeePass only needs to be open to allow plug-ins to use credentials. All the plug-ins take this into account and will pop up KeePass when you need to unlock it.

I never use form filling plug-ins. I can log into everything I need using Auto-Type or the occasional drag n drop. Then I don't need to worry about which browser / machine I'm using.

cheers, Paul

• MindFree

MindFree - 2022-06-25

Thank you for the information. If I understand correctly, I can have Keepass started, but the workspace locked and whenever I need to enter a username or password the related shortcut will bring Keepass to the foreground for me to unlock Keepass.

• Paul

Paul - 2022-06-25

There is a setting to start KeePass like that.
    Tools > Options > Advanced.
    Start and Exit
    Start minimized and locked.

cheers, Paul

👍
  • Bruce

Bruce - 2022-06-25

I use a KeePass add on called LockAssist. This allows me to set the database to lock after a few minutes of inactivity, while also allowing the use of AutoType and Global AutoType w/o having to unlock the db (with my 21 char master password) and lock it again.

👍
  • MindFree

MindFree - 2022-06-25

LockAssist sounds very useful for me. Thank you for pointing it out.

• Bruce

Bruce - 2022-06-25

Well I hope you find it as useful as I!

• MindFree

MindFree - 2022-06-26

I haven't used it much, but first impressions are very good. I start Keepass minimized and locked and then I use the plugin. I had some difficulty understanding the SoftLock and PIN for it. I mistakenly thought that that would allow me only one attempt to use the PIN to unlock the workspace. I finally understood that it is when the database is locked that the PIN only works once.

Last edit: MindFree 2022-06-26
  • ReadyPlayerOne

ReadyPlayerOne - 2022-07-07

Little late, but I know I have keepass as portable and have no problem using it to open the URL in any Browser I use. What I do is insure the database has a Master password so you can lock it or close it and when you open it require the password to open the database to use.