Menu

Beginners...

Anonymous
2006-08-23
2012-10-04
  • Anonymous

Anonymous - 2006-08-23

Hey,

There doesn't seem to be too much FAQ for beginners. I'm new to Java and Jackcess, but I'm still a bit confused on a few things.

[code]

// TEST PROGRAM FOR CONNECTING TO AN ACCESS DATABASE

import java.io.;
    import java.sql.
    ;
    import com.healthmarketscience.jackcess.*;

public class dbtest {
    public static void main(String[] args) {
    System.out.println("\n\tHello world!!!\n");
    try {
    System.out.println("\tTrying to access database...\n\n");
    Database.open(new File("pdb.mdb")).getTable("Users").display();}

catch (Exception ae) {
        //System.out.println(ae.getID());
        System.out.println("Something went terribly wrong");
    }

}
    }

[/code]

Its difficult to know what to include / import, how to import and where to place it for the import.

Since Microsoft Access is such a portable type of database, its my assumption that Jackcess is geared toward the same mentality.

Sorry I'm so new to Java. : )

-FBL

Related

Code: code

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2006-10-15

correction, it's java -cp fooDep1.jar;fooDep2.jar;fooDep3.jar MyClass

Notice the semi-colon's.

-FBL

• James Ahlborn

James Ahlborn - 2006-10-16

actually, it depends what platform you are on. semicolons is a windows thing. on unix-like OSes, you would need to use colons.

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2006-10-16

oh wow... makes sense... thanks for the heads up... i'm developing for both.

Cheers.

-FBL

• James Ahlborn

James Ahlborn - 2006-08-25

i'm willing to give you some pointers, but i honestly have no idea what you are asking. the code you included seems to be working code to open a mdb file and display the "Users" table. What exactly are you trying to figure out?

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2006-08-25

Ok... my brother helped me out on this one...

He had to extract the files inside the jar dependencies to the working directory...

Basically, I'm building fine but getting run errors, but I can't find any solid "beginner" documentation on how to set up the dependencies.

I know this is more of a Java thing than a Jackcess thing, and I'm new to Java, but even my brother, who's fluent in it had a hard time setting them up because he'd never included so many dependencies like this.

I'd be willing to write a quick howto and sample code (even supply a sample database) because this is a very usefull tool. I just need some reinforcement on how to set all of these dependencies up. I'll try to upload and link the project so far. Thanks for the quick response.

-FBL

• James Ahlborn

James Ahlborn - 2006-08-26

sounds like you need to setup your classpath. when using a bunch of jars, you can stick that jar file on your classpath. example:

java -cp fooDep1.jar:fooDep2.jar:fooDep3.jar MyClass

the "fooDep1.jar" would of course be the path to the jar file, so if you had them all in a specific dir, it might be "lib/fooDep1.jar".

• Anonymous

Anonymous - 2006-08-28

Perfect. Thanks so much!!!

Haven't tried it yet since they're extracted and working, but that helps a bunch!