Menu

Sharing and Verifying a Modified or New Plugin with Team Members

2023-07-12
2023-07-12
  • Rohit Kushwaha

Rohit Kushwaha - 2023-07-12

Dear Team,

I hope this email finds you all well. I have a question regarding the process of sharing modifications made to an existing plugin or introducing a new plugin. I would appreciate your guidance on the following points:

Sharing Modifications:
    If I have made modifications to an existing plugin, I would like to share these changes with the team efficiently. It is crucial that everyone has access to the updated version to provide their feedback and suggestions. Please advise on the best approach to sharing the modified plugin with all team members.

Sharing a New Plugin:
    In the event that I have developed a new plugin, I would like to collaborate with the team and gather their input. It is important to verify that the extension is relevant and beneficial to our users. Kindly guide me on the most effective way to share the new plugin with the team for their review and feedback.

Verification Process:
    To ensure that the modified or new plugin aligns with the requirements and effectively supports the intended functionalities, we need to establish a verification process. I would appreciate your insights on the steps we should take to verify and validate the plugin's performance and usefulness. Your expertise in this matter is valuable.

I kindly request your guidance on the above points to streamline the sharing and verification of modified or new plugins. Your input and support are greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your attention and assistance.

Best regards,
    Rohit

• Jeffrey Bostoen

Jeffrey Bostoen - 2023-07-12

This is a generic question. Set up a test environment. Ideal for development and giving demos, or testing things.

• Rohit Kushwaha

But suppose I created or modified the plugin then how can I share those new plugins/ modify plugin to the community and how will I contribute to the community?

• Jeffrey Bostoen

You could just share them on GitHub?

• Rohit Kushwaha

Hi Jeffrey,
    after uploading the new plugin on github, what will be the process, doesn't your team verify or review all plugin whatever is uploaded on GitHub repo via users or developers on GitHub?

• Jeffrey Bostoen

It's unclear what you actually want.

If it's regular work, you can simply upload anything to GitHub.

If you want it to become part of iTop, you could try makinga a pull request in the official Combodo repositories such as https://github.com/Combodo/iTop

I'm not affiliated with Combodo ;)

• Rohit Kushwaha

if my understanding is correct can you please verify my understanding.
    become a part of itop , is IT free or any paid service i have to take.

Uploading plugins on GitHub:
    Fork the official iTop repository: Visit the iTop GitHub repository (https://github.com/Combodo/iTop) and click on the "Fork" button at the top right corner. This will create a copy of the repository under your GitHub account.

Set up your local development environment: Clone your forked repository to your local machine using Git. You will need to have PHP, a web server (like Apache), and a database (such as MySQL) installed to run iTop locally.

Make your changes: Create a new branch in your local repository to work on your changes. Make the necessary modifications and additions to develop your plugin. Ensure your changes align with the guidelines and coding standards of the iTop project.

Test your changes: Run and test your modified version of iTop locally to ensure that your plugin is functioning correctly and does not introduce any regressions.

Commit and push your changes: Once you are satisfied with your changes, commit them to your local repository and push the changes to your forked repository on GitHub.

Submit a pull request: Go to your forked repository on GitHub and click on the "New Pull Request" button. Select the appropriate branches (your branch with changes and the original iTop repository's branch) and provide a clear description of your changes. Submit the pull request, and the **iTop development team will review your contribution. **

Last edit: Rohit Kushwaha 2023-07-12