PACscope installation

Yong Lee
2013-10-02
2021-05-11
1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)
  • Yong Lee

Yong Lee - 2013-10-02

Hello,,

I am trying to install PACscope for my MK3-A810 controller.
    I followed the README instructions in the PAC-scope directory, but when I run "PACscope --help", all I get is "PACscope: command not found".
    Can someone tell me exactly how to install the PACscope?

Thanks,
    Yong

• Thorsten Wagner

Thorsten Wagner - 2013-10-02

Did you just compile (via "make") it or did you also run a "make install"
    You can run a program not being in the search path by going into the folder and using the prefix ./ - here ./PACscope.

Thorsten :-)

• Yong Lee

Yong Lee - 2013-10-03

Sorry for the confusion.
    I ran the following scripts:

/SRanger/PAC-scope$ tar xvjf plotmm
    /SRanger/PAC-scope$ cp -r src plotmm/examples/PACscope
    /SRanger/PAC-scope$ cd plotmm
    /SRanger/PAC-scope/plotmm$ ./bootstrap
    /SRanger/PAC-scope/plotmm$ ./configure
    /SRanger/PAC-scope/plotmm$ make -j8

And after the reboot, I went back to /SRanger/PAC-scope/ directory and ran ./PACscope --help.
    All I get is the following response:

bash: ./PACscope: No such file or directory

Yong

• Thorsten Wagner

Thorsten Wagner - 2013-10-03

Just try:

cd ~/SRanger/PAC-scope
    sudo ./bootstrap
    cd plotmm/example/PACscope
    ./PACscope --help

I think that you run the wrong bootstrap-script.

• Yong Lee

Yong Lee - 2013-10-05

Hello Thorsten.

I think I got the PACscope installed now.
    But when I run gxsm2 and look under thr "Feedback & Scan" tab in the SR DSP control menu, I do not see PAC:Exec channels. Is there something I need to do to get those channels to appear under Feedback and Scan tab?
    Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Yong

Last edit: Yong Lee 2013-10-05
  • Yong Lee

Yong Lee - 2013-10-07

Could it be because my SRanger is assigned to sranger_mk2_1 instead of sranger_mk2_0?
    For some reason my signal ranger board was assinged to sranger_mk_1 although I have only one signal ranger board connected to the computer.
    Is there a way to force the system to assign the board to sranger_mk2_0?

Yong

• Thorsten Wagner

Thorsten Wagner - 2013-10-07

Please try to activate expert and Guru mode on the advanced tab. That - I think expert mode would be enough - will display the four channels of the fuzzy mode. You should be able to select here the PAC channels as Input.

About the device sranger_mk2_1: Usually, it should be sranger_mk2_0. You have also the smart piezo Driver from softdb? This will be another sranger_mk being attached and recognized by your computer.

• Yong Lee

Yong Lee - 2013-10-07

You are right! Enableing expert control showed the four channels.
    I have one more question. How do I use the tuning feature available?
    Clicking on the button does not cause any visual change?
    Oh one more thing. I do not have a smart piezo drive. Could it be a USB keyboard/mouse set that is causing such a device assignment (sranger_mk2_1)? I used this USB keyboard/mouse set during the installtion of Ubuntu.

Thanks,
    Yong

• Thorsten Wagner

Thorsten Wagner - 2013-10-08

For some help how to use the PLL, please have a look at the manual provided by softdb. The GXSM frontend is a copy of the Windows based frontend for the PLL.

About the sranger_mk2_1-issue: I do not have any glue. Definetelly, it should not be caused by your mouse or Keyboard.

• Yong Lee

Yong Lee - 2013-10-08

Thorsten.
    Thank you very much for your suggestions. I have suucessfully set up the PACscope feature. I have one more question. I have used the windows version of SoftdB's PLL software. After tuning a tuning fork, the software automatically transferred relevant parameters such as resonant frequency, quality factors, etc into the PLL settings. Is there a similar feature within Gxsm? It seems that clicking Tuning button does not do anything. I can manually see the tuning process works with the PACscope command in a Linux terminal, though.

Yong

• Percy Zahl

Percy Zahl - 2013-10-16

Yong, not yet -- I stared digging into some auto gnu fitting libraries... but did not got back to it by now.

Also this whole PAC tool is more a "exploration" and preliminary tool, on long term.... it is going to be included into Gxsm/HwI with more bells and whistles. Little short of time currently to drive it. Any help is very welcome!

• Yong Lee

Yong Lee - 2013-10-17

Thank you for the update, Percy.
    I can only wish that I can help with the development since I am no good with programming.
    But certainly GXSM, for already what it is, is a wonderful piece of work for anyone in the SPM community. And I definitely appreciate you and others who contributed to the development of GXSM.

• Pascal Gehring

Pascal Gehring - 2021-05-04

ok, sorry. Fixed it. I came from the Lubuntu 20.04.1 provided by ventiotec.

needed to:

sudo apt install libfftw3-dev
    sudo apt install libgtkmm-2.4-dev

but now I get

adminlab@SThM-PC:~/sranger-svn/SR_MK2_MK3Pro/apps/PAC-scope/plotmm/examples/PACscope$ ./PACscope -t
    Looking for device >HWI-DEV-MK3-I** HwI SR-MK3 probing
    HWI-DEV-MK3-E01-- can not open device >/dev/sranger_mk2_0<, please check permissions. 
    Error

Last edit: Pascal Gehring 2021-05-04
  • Percy Zahl

Percy Zahl - 2021-05-04

Hello, you are trying to use some thing very very old.
    The recent mk3_spm_configurator.py includes a much newer PAC/PLL tune app if that is what you are looking for.

The recent SVN contains MK3 lib and configuration scripts for python2.7 and 3.x now.

See the script newly according named script folders.

Last edit: Percy Zahl 2021-05-04
  • Pascal Gehring

Pascal Gehring - 2021-05-04

Ok, perfect, thanks! Will try that one!

Currently it gives me an error actually

(gxsm3:7594): GLib-CRITICAL **: 17:37:15.431: g_strrstr: assertion 'haystack != NULL' failed
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "<string>", line 50, in <module>
    ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'mk3_spmcontol_class'

• Pascal Gehring

Pascal Gehring - 2021-05-05

Fixed it (dodgy), so I just post my solution:

went to /gxsm3-svn/plug-ins/hard/MK3-A810_spmcontrol/python3_scripts and run

export PYTHONPATH=`pwd`

Not sure if that was the most elegant solution but it worked...

...only problem: I need to do this again every time I close the terminal

Last edit: Pascal Gehring 2021-05-05
  • Pascal Gehring

follow-up question: when I want to open the "3 SPM Signal Patch Rack" my computer does quite some processing and the terminal freezes at "MK OPT MENU ITEM: Sig: S70: AC Ampl Aux".
    After about 10min I get the following (gxsm3 crashes and closes):

MK OPT MENU ITEM: Sig: S67:Noise [67, 284185788, 1, 'analog.noise', 'Noise', '1', 1, 'Control', 'White Noise Generator'] 4107
    MK OPT MENU ITEM: Sig: S68:Null-Signal [68, 284185792, 1, 'analog.vnull', 'Null-Signal', '0', 1, 'Control', 'Null Signal used to fix any module input at Zero'] 4107
    MK OPT MENU ITEM: Sig: S69:AC Ampl [69, 284186472, 1, 'probe.AC_amp', 'AC Ampl', 'V', 0.0003051850947599719, 'Control', 'AC Amplitude Control for Bias modulation'] 4107
    MK OPT MENU ITEM: Sig: S70:AC Ampl Aux [70, 284186476, 1, 'probe.AC_amp_aux', 'AC Ampl Aux', 'V', 0.0003051850947599719, 'Control', 'AC Amplitude Control (auxillary channel or as default used for Z modulation)'] 4107
    MK OPT MENU ITEM: Sig: S71:Noise Ampl [71, 284186496, 1, 'probe.noise_amp', 'Noise Ampl', 'V', 0.0003051850947599719, 'Control', 'Noise Amplitiude Control'] 4107
    MK OPT MENU ITEM: Sig: S72:LockIn State [72, 284186668, 1, 'probe.state', 'LockIn State', 'X', 1, 'Control', 'LockIn Status watch'] 4107
    MK OPT MENU ITEM: Killed
    root@SThM-PC:~# 

(PS: running gxsm3 currently as root. Otherwise functions like "5 SPM Create Signal Graph" would not work (no rights to write some svg file apparently))

• Pascal Gehring

That's the computer I'm running the software on:

sthm-pc                     
        description: Computer
        width: 64 bits
        capabilities: smp vsyscall32
      *-core
           description: Motherboard
           physical id: 0
         *-memory
              description: System memory
              physical id: 0
              size: 8GiB
         *-cpu
              product: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz
              vendor: Intel Corp.
              physical id: 1
              bus info: cpu@0
              size: 1247MHz
              capacity: 3600MHz
              width: 64 bits

• Percy Zahl

Percy Zahl - 2021-05-05

What/how did you installed the software? Manually, using one of the Gxsm-Ubuntu-Distro-ISO images, etc.? Is it up-to-date? Your DSP/Software/Gxsm up-to-date and in "sync"??? Any warnings?

Also you should never run gxsm as root, no need.

Start it from the console out of you home directory or any folder withing there.

• Pascal Gehring

I used the iso to install Lubuntu (with GXSM3 pre-installed).

did a

sudo apt upgrade gxsm3

it's up-to-date.

did a svn update of the gxsm3-svn

anything else I could do?

• Percy Zahl

Percy Zahl - 2021-05-05

is you MK3 DSP (code) up-to-date? You may want to follow the DSP Re-Flash instructions to put the latest "DSP" software on it. (FB_spmcontrol.out file) Via the "mini debugger) -- requires the SoftdB tools on a windows box to do.

Depending on what you are intending to do, there are a few option on optimized DSP codes with different options in this path:

Gxsm-3.0/plug-ins/hard/MK3-A810_spmcontrol$ ls *.out
        FB_spmcontrol-DEFAULT.out [default]
        FB_spmcontrol-MIN-PAC-NOROT.out [more optimized for PAC on DSP, no SCAN ROTATION]
        FB_spmcontrol-MIN-PAC.out [optimized for PAC]
        FB_spmcontrol.out [last build, ignore]
        FB_spmcontrol-PACPLL-opt.out [PAC optional]

If you depend all the time on the PAC, best PAC performance -- use one of the optimized versions. The PAC is very computational intense and the most versatile (default) DSP code may not perform ideally at heavy DSP load. The optimized versions have a more hard code PAC always ON and a few (minor) trade offs for other functionality. Example: if you only do STM or used an alternative external PLL, do NOT use the PAC optimized versions.

• Pascal Gehring

Pascal Gehring - 2021-05-06

Ok, honest answer: this is my first custom built AFM tool and I'm new to gxsm (only used commercial tools in the past).

I am about to build a tuning-fork AFM, so I guess PAC optimized is the right thing for me?

I use this question to also ask if anybody ever made a beginner-friendly tutorial to set up (on the gxsm3 software-side) such experiment? (I fear I might know the answer ;-) ).

Last edit: Pascal Gehring 2021-05-06
          • Percy Zahl

Percy Zahl - 2021-05-07

We simplified and automatized already many settings and configurations with the MK3. It could be all easy if we would only support one exact SPM hardware/model. But as those vary and all kinds of hardware is possible to support this is a non trivial task. Still the defaults suit many setups. But you are welcome to help and make suggestions to improve! To the extreme you may alter your DSP code or Gxsm yourself for very special needs... and this sure requires a bit more insights -- but we are here to help and point where to start! Happened in the past and often results in a new release with more options...

The PAC default values will for example get you started with a 30kHz Q-Plus, still you will need to tune the operation parameters manually for optimal results for you needs.

• Pascal Gehring

Pascal Gehring - 2021-05-07

I do understand! It is a beautiful piece of work you guys developed. I just still feel a bit overwhelmed by all its functions. Thanks for your great support and thanks for dedicating so much time and energy to run this open-source project.

I will anyhow start with a 'normal' 30kHz tuning fork. So perhaps I'm fine...I plan some non-trivial things in the future and will most certainly be back in this forum to cry for help...

1 2 > >> (Page 1 of 2)