Sorry for the rant, but the bookmarks sidebar is very, very buggy. The main issue is that it does not get updated to reflect changes in the document.
1. Test case on a document with 15 lines of code:
- mouse-bookmark line 10
- clone lines 1-9 resulting in a 23-line document
- notice that the visual indicator (left of the text, right of the line numbers) is correctly update to line 19
- while the sidebar still keeps at line 10
- clicking the sidebar item will bring you to line 10, where the line originally bookmarked line is no longer. This can become very distracting when editing a document and using the sidebar for document navigation.
- a further complication, mouse-removing the bookmark at line 19 doesn't remove the one in the sidebar which is still linked to line 10
- corollary, removing the bookmark from the sidebar doesn't remove the one at at line 19 next to the text
2. Test case on a document with 100 lines of code:
- mouse-bookmark line 50
- add a "TODO" string to line 50 so that its included in the Tasks window
- go to line 1 and click the bookmark; it will correctly navigate to line 50, but will unexpectedly display line 50 as last line on the screen, hiding all lines below. Manual scrolling would be needed to get a hang of the region
- go to line 1 and click the Tasks TODO entry; it will correctly navigate to line 50, but will also centre the screen and will to display about 25%of screen lines before and 75% lines afeter line 50, which is the desirable behaviour
- going from line 100 to line 50 via the Bookmarks sidebar works better, but this is incidental. Some sort of screen centring would be nice.
The Bookmarks sidebar is very helpful but it would be even more useful if it behave consistently. Please let me know what you think of these issues.
Log in to post a comment.