New map scrolling features are contributed by firvorski

• Bal Simon

Bal Simon - 2021-05-24

I love these contributions!

Thank you!

~ Bal

• Bal Simon

Bal Simon - 2021-05-24

I don't know if this is just something happening with me, but the scroll commands to center the selected node and center the selected node at left are reversed.

I can reassign the hotkey so it's not a huge deal. Just thought I'd let you know.

~ Bal

• abc163

abc163 - 2021-05-24

I found the same bug.

• abc163

abc163 - 2021-05-24

• abc163

abc163 - 2021-05-24

Wonderful! Thank you.

• Alexandre

Alexandre - 2021-05-24

Thanks for these nice additions.
    Btw is it possible to change the cursor above the map overview, it is kind of resized and pixelated.
    Best regards.

• Ding Fei

Ding Fei - 2021-05-25

Cursor is changed to crosshair in https://github.com/freeplane/freeplane/pull/203

• Dimitry Polivaev

The new cursor is available in preview 1.9.3_04

• Alexandre

Alexandre - 2021-05-24

Also maybe it could be nice to be able to set the transparency level on map overview panel?

• Ding Fei

Ding Fei - 2021-05-25

I tried it locally but the effect is not good as we might think about it when the two overlaps (see attachments), I personally assigned ctrl+M for quick toggling of the overview.

• Alexandre

Alexandre - 2021-05-25

Hi Ding,

Thanks for this super useful addition.

Maybe the transparency could be optional?

I also assigned a mapping to toggle the overview.

Best regards,

Alexandre

Last edit: Dimitry Polivaev 2021-05-25
        • Ding Fei

Ding Fei - 2021-05-25

How do you think about this? @Dimitry

• Dimitry Polivaev

Personally I never use transparency because I find it distractive, but it is not an argument neither in favor nor against the suggestion. I am fine with whatever decision you make and whatever you want to try or not to try.

I think that changing the overview pane size using drag and drop at the pane corner or pane edges could be useful and then you do not need to implement the dialog. Freeplane has similar logic implemented for images at org.freeplane.view.swing.features.filepreview.ViewerController.MyMouseListener .

• Alexandre

Alexandre - 2021-05-24

Another addition could be to be able to resize the overview panel manually, but having the overview panel's minimap keep it's proportions.

• Alexandre

Alexandre - 2021-05-25

Sorry for putting many requests here.
    I just had this idea: Maybe it could be useful to be able to move the square (screen) in the overview map with the keyboard? Like a mapping could give focus to the overview map or there could be 4 options "move up, down, left, right" that could be assigned to keys.

• Ding Fei

Ding Fei - 2021-05-25

Auto positioning to corner could be in the feature. Please be patient and give me some time for this.

Meanwhile I could post a few previews if you are curious.

Last edit: Ding Fei 2021-05-25
      • Dimitry Polivaev

I believe changing the size would be sufficient, changing of the position might be not as necessary. But if you want to try the both I don't mind.

• Alexandre

Alexandre - 2021-05-26

Ok Dmitry. Changing the position of the minimap could be useful too,
          but it is not really what I suggested by moving with the keyboard. I
          suggested to be able to move the cursor (the blue transparent
          rectangle) in the minimap (with the keyboard).

On 26/05/2021, Dimitry Polivaev dpolivaev@users.sourceforge.net wrote:

I believe changing the size would be sufficient, changing of the position
          might be not as necessary. But if you want to try the both I don't mind.

Map overview and new map scrolling features in Preview
          1.9.3_01

Sent from sourceforge.net because you indicated interest in
          https://sourceforge.net/p/freeplane/discussion/758437/

To unsubscribe from further messages, please visit
          https://sourceforge.net/auth/subscriptions/

• Miguel Boyer

Miguel Boyer - 2021-05-26

Hope i'm not interfering too much, here, with the main trend of thought.
          But, actually, in the same realm... May I suggest a useful feature i have
          been missing for a very long time?
          Without losing focus of a certain node, it would be awesome to pan de whole
          map with the keyboard arrows to move up, down, left and right.
          Any keyboard shortcut should activate this feature quickly, then you would
          use the arrows to move the map, then press "Esc" key or similar, and you
          are back to normal typing.

But why? How is this useful?

Well, the thing is that often times you don't see the relevant context,
          when typing into a node. It would be ideal to move the map a bit towards
          the top, or left, or right, or bottom, depending on where the relevant
          context is located. Also, in a big screen, the selected node may be away
          from the center, and you would see the node more clearly and comfortably if
          the node is closer to the center of the screen. You can use the mouse to do
          this, yes, but when you type a lot in many nodes, moving the hand back and
          forward towards the mouse is a real pain. Seems like no big deal, but done
          repeatedly it becomes a burden. Many times, speed depends on not using the
          mouse too often. Actually, i go back and forth with the keyboard arrows
          changing the active node, in order to try and move the position of the map
          in the screen, as a rudimentary hack for the feature i'm requesting. But it
          doesn't work efficiently, let me tell you.

Another detail: The % of movement when you pan the map in the proposed way
          should be configurable. It could be fixed to 30%, but for some users,
          several steps of 10% could be more accurate, pressing the arrow several
          times. Or maybe setting the thing to 30% and pressing de arrow key just
          once would be better for other users. Who knows.
          Also, maybe we could use the old key that was called in the keyboard
          something like to "block panning" or "block movement", i don't remember the
          name of that key in english. In spanish my keyboard calls it "Bloq Despl".
          Or may be not, because compact keyboards use a key combination to access
          that.
          Maybe would just use "Alt - ArrowKeys" to pan. That would be so fast. Now
          it is reserved for previous focus node, but that feature is not that
          useful, i believe.

Thanks a lot, all of you, for considering this feature.

• Dimitry Polivaev

Thanks, you gave your reasons exactly how I meant it.
            And I find such posts very useful because they stimulate thinking about needs and solutions.

I think that we should replace hard-coded keys by menu items so that all short cuts can be changed by users. It would also allow to get the vim mode suggested by @danix800 basically for free. And then we could add menu items triggering the navigation inside the overview.

• Ding Fei

Ding Fei - 2021-05-26

#202 is closed for now due to immaturity and time constraints. When I finished map overview I'll return to it. I gradually appended more VIM like mappings for my local use (still hard-coded), listed as below:

1. 'h', 'j', 'k', 'l' for node selection
              2. 'H', 'J', 'K', 'L' for map scrolling
              3. '+', '-' for zooming
              4. 'i' for edit current
              5. 'n', 'N' for next/prev search
              6. ':' for command search
              7. 'o' / 'O' for append child/parent ('Enter'/'Shift Enter' for same level)
              8. 'D' for delete
              9. 'u' for undo
              10. 'x' for cut
              11. 'p' for paste
              12. 'y' for yank

If you are interested please stay tuned.

• Dimitry Polivaev

Sorry, I am not sure if I could write my points clear enough.
                I mean that instead of using a key listener you could add new menu actions for navigation inside the overview map, it would allow to configure hot key for them. The same approach could be used also for all actions your mentioned above.

1 2 3 > >> (Page 1 of 3)