Menu

Windows Surface RT - Unlocked and Running

2013-03-10
2023-03-06
  • sharepointuser01

Hey guys,

I started playing with a unlocked Widows Surface RT. With a few tweeks I think we can make Freemind run just fine on the platform. Right now the only problem I see if it throws a few windows registry errors while running but other wise is looking good. I'm gonna start testing with some of my maps and see what challenges I find.

Here is a picture of it running http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/8840/88893848.png

• John McManus

John McManus - 2014-03-20

Hi, I use freemind extensively and have only recently bought a surface RT. I'd appreciate any help you could provide in relation to instruction for installing java and freemind, as it'd make the rt very useful, if I had freemind running on it.

Cheers, John

• Dimitry Polivaev

How have you done it? I thought Java generally did not run on Windows RT.

Regards, Dimitry

• sharepointuser01

There is nothing preventing Java from running on the RT besides microsoft disallowing unsigned apps. Anything that can run on a ARM processor will run. Bryan from another forums is doing some testing and I think I'll be posting a how to shortly after I get drop box working.

• sharepointuser01

After some testing, My large uncomplex maps work fine. My maps with encrypting and html I am having some problems with as I get lots of standard errors on them. I'm sure a pro could look at it and say.. Oh yeah. Yet for me just having the basic mind map functions is enough for me.

• sharepointuser01

Thats what I was using at the time, but it wasn't able to do everything. Just view a few basic maps. Where the improvements to IKVM with Freemind that I don't know about?