Menu

Can the log show historical data?

Feedback
2006-10-31
2013-04-24
  • Nobody/Anonymous

Hi, you guys have a great tool here. I'm using it to monitor my computer's network traffic and it works really well. Except for one thing, I need to see the traffic level during the time I'm away. I noticed there is a logging tool, and it can be updated every x minutes. But then it turned out new update will overwrite the older data. Is there something I can do, so that instead of replacing older data, the new update can be appended onto the log? That way, I can have a history of network traffic recorded every x minutes. Thanks!

• pho

pho - 2006-11-01

in the current version, there is only logging of totals since freemeter started running, if you close it and open it again, totals are reset. you can see these totals, and also a breakdown by last 24 hours in the Utilities->Totals Log Menu item, and also set your log format, and save interval there.

Work is being done to implement a historical log that is saved between runs, and has more statistics. So, someday it will do what you describe, and there are a couple more posts in the list about these type of features that maybe describe it better.

Thanks man for the post! have a good one.

• Mieszko Lassota

Mieszko Lassota - 2006-11-04

i'm really trying to find some spare time to work on freemeter, but i've got too much on my mind right now... but i promise, that i'll implement it this month...

regards miechu

• pho

pho - 2006-11-06

no rush, i havent even opened the code in 3 months now. What we need is to fiddle with thte code for us, then we just pick and choose the best bits to add. :)

• pho

pho - 2006-11-06

oops, typo, What we need is more people to fiddle! ...

• Nobody/Anonymous

Glad I checked on this first. I thought I was coming into the same thing with the logs. I know you could export it every time and make your own database, but it would be great to have it accumulate in the program itself, like Bandwidth Monitor Pro does.

I wish I was a coder so that I could help out, but alas, I am just an ex-pirate who is going legit. So far, this program works flawlessly and has a small memory footprint and an even smaller disk one, very pleased and appreciate all the work that has been put into it.