Menu

Windows, JDK 1.8 and Netbeans

Help
2015-01-02
2015-01-03
  • Simon Small

Simon Small - 2015-01-02

I have been busy at work for a while, so finally got around to having another look at FreeCol. I had been looking at the 0.11.0 code, so decided it was time to get up to date and 'do things properly'. I found that the latest code (0.11.1) gives errors compiling under JRE 1.6, so upgraded my Java (mine was 6, but 7 now seems out of date, so I went for version 8). I am now having to upgrade Netbeans due to some changes in security features in Java. I also have some issues with the Netbeans project in the FreeCol source code, but I am not anything like competent in Netbeans configuration. I am going to get up to date with everything before investigating this further.

Is anyone else using Windows, JDK 1.8 and Netbeans? Have I gone too far by using Java8?

• wintertime

wintertime - 2015-01-02

I'm using the bundled JDK8 with NetBeans 8.0.2 on Windows.
    You need to clone into NetBeansProjects/FreeCol, then cp config/nbprojects nbprojects if you need the project file, then open the project in NetBeans, but that generates wrong compatibility warnings with Java1.5. Better just use the build.xml inside NetBeans or ant from command line, if you just want to compile it. Then start the game with:
    $ java -Xmx256M -jar FreeCol.jar --windowed

Last edit: wintertime 2015-01-02
  • Simon Small

Simon Small - 2015-01-03

Good - it's not me then...

I used the instructions in doc/developer.tex, but that didn't seem complete. I then copied the nbprojects directory and that did not seem correct either. I'll see what I can work out and suggest some changes.

• wintertime

wintertime - 2015-01-03

I was in a hurry so I forgot, you can click on the opened project name inside netbeans and change the project properties, there is a setting you can switch from java1.5 to java1.7. Its just that it causes annoying reindexing of all source files and due to a netbeans bug it can neither be saved to the project nor hand-edited and read back into netbeans.