Menu

Camarillo stop working only on eviacam

General
2017-04-30
2017-05-03
  • Manuel Jose da Trindade Neto

I have been using your software for almost six years already, ever since I had my accident and it always worked like a charm. So, I would like to, first of all, thank you from the bottom of my heart for making this software. It was, since the beginning, the main reason I was able to do anything since my spinal cord injury.

Now, the problem.

Im using a computer with windows 10 for almost three months and it was all working normally until three days ago. On Thursday, when I turned the computer on, the camera feed just didn't appear on the program window. The screen was black and the mouse pointer didn't move at all. A curious fact is that no error message was ever displayed and when I tested the camera on other applications and on other computer, it worked just fine.

Can you help me find out what's going on, please? Thanks in advance.

• georgn

georgn - 2017-04-30

I have the same problems since two days on Windows 10. I'm quite sure that this has to do with an update of Windows. But that is just a hunch. It was not possible to switch to another camera from which I have two connected to my computer. The option to change the camera was inactive in Enable Viacam.

I even installed windows 8.1 in an attempt to get the program running again. The same way it happened when I tried to install windows 10 again, it only works on the first time you run the operating system. After you restart it for the first time, the problem appears again.

Im pretty much lost without the program. It's the main way I interact with my computer.

• Cesar Mauri-Loba

I added a workaround and built a new Windows version. Try it and let me know:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4D6QfuluiBUemljaFUteEFBQmc

It might have to do with update KB3150513, but not sure. Do you have such update installed?

• georgn

georgn - 2017-05-02

There hasn't been an update within the last ten days. At least on my machine.

• georgn

georgn - 2017-05-03

Unfortunately the workaround version of Enable Viacam didn't solve the problem for me.

• Cesar Mauri-Loba

Try to run it with Windows XP or Windows 7 compatibility mode.

• Cesar Mauri-Loba

I built another workaround version. I hope this now works. It works for me on my Windows 10 Home laptop. Let me know. NOTE: it says it is also version 2.1.2 but it not same of the previous post.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4D6QfuluiBULXZMRDBrcmdvWFk

• Mike Gordon

Mike Gordon - 2017-05-03

I've been having the same problem the last few days. I've tried both these work arounds but my camera still doesn't want to work with it. All I'm getting is a black screen that says it's getting one frame per second. Like said in the previous posts, It seems to have happened after my computer updated with windows 10. I also tried compatibility mode without any luck

• shourai

shourai - 2017-05-03

I'm unable to get either of the workarounds to even execute. I keep getting "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permission to access the it" and I'm the only admin/user.

Windows 10 Pro

The fix is working perfectly for me, the only problem is there after I tested it on a fresh installed Windows 10 and after installing all updates also, it stopped working again when I installed avast antivirus. I uninstalled it and it begin working again. It makes no sense to me but it's at least working.

Right now, I am on Windows 10 64 Bits and Build 1703, without any antivirus installed.

• shourai

shourai - 2017-05-03

Yeah, it doesn't make sense, but I also just uninstalled Avast and eViacam now works again. Odd

• georgn

georgn - 2017-05-04

Good find! Removing Avast did the trick. Right now I'm running Windows Defender and it doesn't disturb Enable Viacam at all.

• Cesar Mauri-Loba

I have been able to reproduce this issue. After installing Avast on Windows 10 eViacam stopped working delivering only black camera frames at 1 FPS rate. Even adding eViacam to the Avast exclusion list does not help. I finally solved the issue by uninstalling Avast.

I've been using Avast for years and I am kind of concerned to be with no third-party antivirus installed on my windows. Are you going to try to figure out what happened, should I try to contact Avast to see if they can come up with a solution or can you recommend me a free antivirus that you think is reliable? Thanks!

• Cesar Mauri-Loba

It seems that some antivirus like Avast and AVG block the camera access. It could be related with the fact that eViacam connects to the Internet to check for updates [1], but not sure (I need to perform some tests). Other users report that with some antivirus (e.g. Panda) eViacam works just fine, thus I suggest to try other antivirus. I also suggest to contact Avast to report this problem. The suggested solution in [1] (add an exclusion) does not work for me.

[1] https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=188969.msg1326820#msg1326820