Menu

trying to simplify WikiMarkup

fneumeier
2005-01-07
2013-04-17
  • fneumeier

fneumeier - 2005-01-07

Hi,

I'd like to even more simplify the WikiMarkup, especially looking for an easy replacement for the "%%%" line feed, as I'm sure my audience will not willing or be able to learn that :-(

Is there a chance to render a simple "return" pressed by the user, as he is used from word processing software, to be rendered as a <br>?

Thanks so much for your help!

Franz

• Andy Fundinger

Andy Fundinger - 2005-01-07

Erm, I do believe that %%% is the unquoted translation of that string, a markup summary is available at http://erfurtwiki.sourceforge.net/WikiMarkup and should have installed with your wiki.  The single return is ignored as it is basically a word wrap.  A double return will start a new paragraph, adding a new line,
      spacing, and clearing out old markup.

• Nobody/Anonymous

This could eventually be hacked, but it is complicated because current ewiki versions separate text (correctly) into paragraphs. The older kernel used <br>s in text, and could have easier added this. But I think it's still possible.

Eventually your users would find typing "<br>" more intutive, because they already knew it? Then enabling "safe_html" (a plugin) would be the best option.

mario

• fneumeier

fneumeier - 2005-01-08

Sorry for that "&#37;&#37;&#37;" - of course I meant %%% ;-)

Well, I guess it's almost impossible what is in my mind. My audience is very computer illiterate. So <br> is as complicated for them as %%% is. I'd rather prefer to not having any special markup for a line feed at all, as this is how people are used to do it in MS Word or on their type writer .... ;-)

e.g. putting in an addres is rather complicated to them, as they type name (line feed) address (line feed) city (line feed) and it looks great to them, and then on the HTML page it looks like this: "name address city".

Guess I have to teach them %%% how to use some simple markups.

Franz

• Andy Fundinger

Andy Fundinger - 2005-01-10

You know, the address thing gets me too.  It might be kludgey but one could write an address detector plugin with the regex:

/.*\n\d+.*\n.*, .., \d\d\d\d\d(-\d\d\d\d)?/

though that might be glitchy.  For my own addresses I often write them as single line addresses, is that a more palatable option for your user community?