Menu

Complete Guide setting up automated EPG for OTA on Windows 8.1 WMC

xyn19
2020-04-15
2020-08-10
<< < 1 2 (Page 2 of 2)
  • Adam Woodroof

Adam Woodroof - 2020-04-24

No, no EPG Collector Network.log in the directory. Only the .ini file, the log, TVGuide.mxf, WMC Export, and EPG Collector.hst

• xyn19

xyn19 - 2020-04-24

Reporting my WMC PC OS is freshly rebuilt, running smoother than ever. Will be responding to any questions, and continue documenting the guide in the first post this weekend!

• Steve Bickell

Steve Bickell - 2020-04-25

Adam - can you open a command prompt, navigate to the directory where EPG Collector is installed, normally Program Files\Geekzone\EPG Collector and type the comand HttpProxy.

Let me know what you see, if anything, in the command prompt window.

• Adam Woodroof

Adam Woodroof - 2020-04-25

An error popped up:

To run this application, you must first install one of the following versions of the .NET Framework: .NETFramework,Version=v4.6.2

EDIT: When I check control panel, I have 4.0.30319 installed -- guess I need to update?

Last edit: Adam Woodroof 2020-04-25
  • Steve Bickell

Steve Bickell - 2020-04-25

Correct. I think that is a very old version of .Net. Just do a bit of Googling for .Net 4.6.2 if you need to find the update.

• Adam Woodroof

Adam Woodroof - 2020-04-25

That fixed it. I never installed any optional windows updates on this machine. That's where the .Net updates were. Pictures are now working. Thanks!!!

• xyn19

xyn19 - 2020-04-27

Added Part 4: EPG Collector to the guide in first post, and updated all other parts!!

Last edit: xyn19 2020-04-27
    • xyn19

xyn19 - 2020-04-27

Just added more stuff. :)

Last edit: xyn19 2020-04-27
  • s armstrong

s armstrong - 2020-04-28

Zap2xml developer has in the past been receptive to emails. It may be worth contacting him to see if he plans on maintaining the app and if not if would pass the code on or make public.

• xyn19

xyn19 - 2020-04-29

Thanks for the info!
      Got me scared for a second...lol
      In my search for alternatives, I found zap2epg, for Kodi, sounds similar and should be actively maintained. Has anyone tried it?

P.S. For people in the USA, there's a massive OTA broadcast frequency band resignment happening this week, to be completed by Sat, May 2, 2020. It just happened today in San Francisco Bay Area. All I needed to do was to scan for more channels in WMC (delete all channels from the list first).

• Dave Evans

Dave Evans - 2020-04-30

This is not good if he is giving up on the project. He updated it very quickly when there was a change... We'll if he has given up, I hope he passes the torch to someone else that will keep it up.

• xyn19

xyn19 - 2020-05-03

I just added the last part of the guide in first post...using My Channel Logos XL.

• s armstrong

s armstrong - 2020-05-03

VERY nice.!

One thing I notice is vhf sration setup. Maybe you don't have any of them. I know epg123 has pretty good documentation about setting them up.

• Andrew L

Andrew L - 2020-06-11

Zap2XML was working great for months, but lately is throwing a lot of 400 Bad Requests rendering the data useless. Have tried with and without VPN from multiple locations. Even tried a Virtual Machine. Also used different logins in Zap2it.

Also tried executing the batch file at different times of the day... last time I could get it to work all the way through was 6/7. Get errors sporadically even though tvlistings.zap2it.com seems fine.

Anyone else experience the same "400 Bad Requests"? Could be time to find a new EPG provider unfortunately...

• xyn19

xyn19 - 2020-08-10

Not that I have seen any. It's still working perfectly for me. Did you get it resolved? If so, what was the issue?

• xyn19

xyn19 - 2020-08-10

Updated the Guide (1st post), mostly minor cleanups. Also this item under WMC section:

(!!!) Goto Settings > General > Automatic Download Options > UNcheck Automatically download WMC data. If you don't do this, your imported Zap2It data maybe wiped clean (!!!) You may also need to do this again, if you rescan for channels.

Last edit: xyn19 2020-08-10
<< < 1 2 (Page 2 of 2)